Starting an in-ground bed (as a newbie)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!
I am new to this forum, and gardening as a whole. I began with potted plants earlier this year, so I’m looking for as much information possible!!
My family’s house has a small sandy/clay bed at the front that we’ve never really done anything with, and since getting into gardening I’ve been wanting to change that. What I would like to know is, how do I transform this dry ground into an in-ground bed suitable for plants? I was hoping to use something to mix with and condition the soil instead of replacing it all with gardening soil, as to not spend as much. Something like top soil, garden soil, compost??
Thanks!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

It can be a lot of fun to develop a new garden bed. There are so many possibilities. My first question is: What kind of plants do you want to grow there?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

It can be a lot of fun to develop a new garden bed. There are so many possibilities. My first question is: What kind of plants do you want to grow there?
Not entirely sure yet, but right now I currently have some Zinnias, a small bush of spur-flowers, and some Marvel of Peru’s that I was thinking of putting there. Not entirely sure if those would mix well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Common Zinnia (Zinnia elegans), Marvel of Peru or Four O'Clocks (Mirabilis jalapa), and Spur-flower (various Coleus spp. formerly placed in Plectranthus) can grow well very together in a sunny, well-drained bed. There are a number of Coleus species that may be called spur-flowers. Some are more succulent than others but most take similar culture. If you post a picture I might be able to determine the species.

I would amend your bed with organic matter, this can be compost if you have it, or commercial bagged or bulk material that may be labelled as compost or soil amendment. Your description of your soil as sandy/clay is curious as those are the two extremes of soil particle size, but perhaps it is so. The seFortunately, organic matter is an ideal soil conditioner for both sandy and clay soils. It improves retention of water and nutrients in sandy soil, while improving the drainage of clay soils. I recommend that you amend generously. If the bed is on flat ground it should be slight mounded after amendment. How large is the bed area and what is its suns exposure?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Common Zinnia (Zinnia elegans), Marvel of Peru or Four O'Clocks (Mirabilis jalapa), and Spur-flower (various Coleus spp. formerly placed in Plectranthus) can grow well very together in a sunny, well-drained bed. There are a number of Coleus species that may be called spur-flowers. Some are more succulent than others but most take similar culture. If you post a picture I might be able to determine the species.

I would amend your bed with organic matter, this can be compost if you have it, or commercial bagged or bulk material that may be labelled as compost or soil amendment. Your description of your soil as sandy/clay is curious as those are the two extremes of soil particle size, but perhaps it is so. The seFortunately, organic matter is an ideal soil conditioner for both sandy and clay soils. It improves retention of water and nutrients in sandy soil, while improving the drainage of clay soils. I recommend that you amend generously. If the bed is on flat ground it should be slight mounded after amendment. How large is the bed area and what is its suns exposure?
I took a better look at the soil just to make sure I knew what I was talking about, the soil seems more sandy and sorta, well, dirt-y rather than clay like the ground around it. It’s also composed of a lot of small root matter, decomposed pine straw, leaves, and other brown stuff like that. It’s full sun for sure. I measured it to be very roughly 16-17 feet long and about 4 feet or so wide. And here’s the picture of those spur flowers, Plectranthus ecklonii I think?

Attachments

• CC26E3E1-B951-4F62-BF4A-73D922ECE72A.jpeg
    CC26E3E1-B951-4F62-BF4A-73D922ECE72A.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Country
United States
The organic debris you mention are fine additions to garden soil. Do leave them in place to become part of the humic mix.

It's sounds like a nice, long, and spacious, sunny bed. Is it situated so as to serve as a border? Perhaps, with either one or two sides for viewing.

Your plant is one of the Plectranthus that remain in that genus after the 'resurrection' of Coleus. I believe it is a popular hybrid known as Plectranthus x 'Mona Lavender' which is a cross made at Kirstenbosch between P. saccatus and P. hilliardiae ssp. australe 'Magwa'. It can grow to about two feet tall. Plectranthus ecklonii can become much taller, but its flowers are not so boldly patterned in purple with a white edge. How tall does your plant get?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The organic debris you mention are fine additions to garden soil. Do leave them in place to become part of the humic mix.

It's sounds like a nice, long, and spacious, sunny bed. Is it situated so as to serve as a border? Perhaps, with either one or two sides for viewing.

Your plant is one of the Plectranthus that remain in that genus after the 'resurrection' of Coleus. I believe it is a popular hybrid known as Plectranthus x 'Mona Lavender' which is a cross made at Kirstenbosch between P. saccatus and P. hilliardiae ssp. australe 'Magwa'. It can grow to about two feet tall. Plectranthus ecklonii can become much taller, but its flowers are not so boldly patterned in purple with a white edge. How tall does your plant get?
The bed lies right in front of the house, next to the porch and is squeezed between the house walls and some side walk, it’s still very open and is the first thing you see when actually coming in the drive way. Currently the Plectranthus is around a foot at its highest, but is still rather small and bushy. I did not know much about it before, but I really appreciate the information on it. May I ask, what specific amendments would you recommend for the soil in particular? Like I said, I’ve only dealt with potted plants and pre-made mixes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Compost is ideal, but many people will initially amend their bed with fine-textured forest products or even shredded autumn leaves. There may be a free source near by, but sometimes for convenience and maybe quality, it is best to buy. Without seeing the state of your soil I would estimate on the light side, just get one cubic yard and cover the area and turn it in. Remember. in the future you will be additional organic matter, by mulching your bed at least once a year in Spring. If you already have or will buy all the plants that you want, this can all done now in the Fall, However, if you need time to plan and shop or intend to grow your plants from seed or cutting. you may just prep the bed now for Spring planting. In that case I recommend planting a legume cover crop. Faba beans, edible peas, sweet peas, etc.

This brings up frost-hardiness. I'm not sure how cold it gets in Winter where you are. Do you know your USDA Zone? It's easy to look up.
The plants you mentioned would all do fine in my garden, but be sure they won't freeze outside where you are. For example. Plectranthus x 'Plepalila' (Mona Lavender™ is actually a Trade Name) is only hardy to USDA Zone 9b (25º F).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Compost is ideal, but many people will initially amend their bed with fine-textured forest products or even shredded autumn leaves. There may be a free source near by, but sometimes for convenience and maybe quality, it is best to buy. Without seeing the state of your soil I would estimate on the light side, just get one cubic yard and cover the area and turn it in. Remember. in the future you will be additional organic matter, by mulching your bed at least once a year in Spring. If you already have or will buy all the plants that you want, this can all done now in the Fall, However, if you need time to plan and shop or intend to grow your plants from seed or cutting. you may just prep the bed now for Spring planting. In that case I recommend planting a legume cover crop. Faba beans, edible peas, sweet peas, etc.

This brings up frost-hardiness. I'm not sure how cold it gets in Winter where you are. Do you know your USDA Zone? It's easy to look up.
The plants you mentioned would all do fine in my garden, but be sure they won't freeze outside where you are. For example. Plectranthus x 'Plepalila' (Mona Lavender™ is actually a Trade Name) is only hardy to USDA Zone 9b (25º F).
I believe I’m in zone 8a, the winters here are very mild and warm usually, though I still might take some plants in to be sure they’re as safe as possible. Also, I do have a picture of the soil, not sure if it helps but here it is. Not the greatest lighting but it’s fairly sandy and dusty.

Attachments

• 3D93342E-B948-4E96-A532-113BFC396A5B.jpeg
    3D93342E-B948-4E96-A532-113BFC396A5B.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your soil does look sandy and it seems to have a good amount of organic matter in it. Amend lightly now, and perhaps add some additional amendment when planting.

Ask a Question