Starting Seeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am about to start my vegetable garden and I've been doing a lot of research on exactly how to begin with your seeds. I'm seeing a lot of sources say that its best to start your seeds indoors then transplant them, and I'm also seeing some sources that say it is ok to start your seeds in your actual garden outside (I have a raised bed) I'm planning on planting radishes, lettuce, spinach, and kale, should I start each seed outdoors or indoors? I would prefer to start it outdoors to avoid the extra expenses of buying seed starter trays and grow lights.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
You can sow them outside but go by the advice on the packet. The lettuce have to wait until frosts have gone I think because I've always done mine inside because I have trouble with slugs and snails here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can sow them outside but go by the advice on the packet. The lettuce have to wait until frosts have gone I think because I've always done mine inside because I have trouble with slugs and snails here.
My hardiness zone is about 5a so do you think I would have that problem with slugs and such?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
My hardiness zone is about 5a so do you think I would have that problem with slugs and such?
You will have to wait until you get the last frost, just looked it up on Google and it should be May the 30th or there abouts. The slugs and snails problem is usually when it's wet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All of those do better when directly seeded into the garden. I found that even if you have to wait a couple of weeks, the direct seeded plants catch up to the starts before maturity.

Ask a Question