23 February 2017 Starting Tomato Seeds (Black Krim)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
23 February 2017 Starting Tomato Seeds (Black Krim)
Posted on February 23, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/February%202017/23%20February%202017%20Starting%20Tomato%20Seeds/HTML/ 23 February 2017 Starting Tomato Seeds(Black Krim)
Five pots of black Krim tomato seeds were started. Last year seed was placed between two sheets of paper towel to confirm viability. Some innovations this year. Five pots are placed in a 23 liter bucket with a fan and a LED light. For now it is an experimental set-up. Main purpose is to see if large stem plants can be obtained. After the plants are established they will be accommodated in the greenhouse utilizing Sunlight.
dsc_5786_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
I'll plant Black Krim as well. I can't translate the word "Krim". What is Krim? I've read that this sort is very productive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
This heirloom tomato originates from the Isle of Krim in the Black Sea. Krim means generous in Arabic (Internet). I have grown black krim for around ten years. It is my favourite tomato for slicing and making juice. I usually grow six plants. It ripens quickly and gets slightly soft when ripe, so at the first sign of ripening it can be used. The stem side is often scarred and a bit green. The quality depends a bit on the weather. Some are quite dark and others are just a dark red depending upon the seeds. If I have a particularly good one the seeds are saved with success. Sometimes the fruit is distorted and twisted like many heirlooms. I have grown other dark types but they usually have nothing on the black krim. Thy are not wildly prolific but adequate.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YWWST 25 July 2011 Black Krim Tomato
There are about ten Black Krim tomato plants. This is my favorite tomato. It is a dark fleshed heritage type, which I grew from seed. It has a nice texture and certainly a strong tomato taste with a thin skin. I have found that all the dark skinned tomatoes are essentially the same; in fact, when grown side by side it is impossible to tell them apart. Many heritage types are distorted and cracked, this one is relatively nice shaped and devoid of serious deep grooves. It is also about palm sized.
25%20july%202011%20tomato%20and%20aunt%20molly%20ground%20cherry%20021_std.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
It's interesting! Sort is American and the name is about the Russian island. :)
Your picture is beautiful! Do you grow them in green house or not?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I only use the green house for starting plants during about March, April, and May. Most plants are in the garden by 1 June. Nothing is matured in the greenhouse. It is too cold some Winter nights and too hot in the Summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
I use my living room for starting :)and 20 April I am going to move them to the green house. Nothing is matured in the garden, because there are too cold night in August. My tomatoes live in green house all summer. And I must to open and close the doors each day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The light used is a LED, 18 watt consumption, (90Watt equivalent) bright white,1500 lumens from Home Depot.. About $20.00. There were some similar but slightly less wattage. No heat emitted to be a problem. The fitting is a trouble light used on cars . The bucket is a 23 liter pail with a small fan in the bottom with some holes burned in the bottom of the pail. I used a cheap soldering iron to make the vent holes.

dsc_5795_std.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
All your pictures look like they are in window sills, do you keep them in the buckets? I picked up a few LED panels to start my tomatoes and peppers and flowers, the forget me nots and the cabbage love it so far.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
All your pictures look like they are in window sills, do you keep them in the buckets? I picked up a few LED panels to start my tomatoes and peppers and flowers, the forget me nots and the cabbage love it so far.

If th Sun is bright I put the plants in the window for a few hours. Sun is very much lacking this year. No artificial light can match the Sun. Usually the plants are in the buckets.

Ask a Question