23 February 2017 Starting Tomato Seeds (Black Krim)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I'm in Calgary. You must have quite a haul to juice every year. I'm down to 9 plants, all in the GH. There was a big honking duplex put up on my south side and I had to convert my tom patch into a shade garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I didn't know you could ripen tomatoes in Calgary. I do about 500 pounds of tomatoes or slightly less. I drink it like water. I have I have 264 litters of various juices left. I pressure can all plant food. I use two to three liter jars daily often mixing them for consumption. http://durgan.org/2011/ All recorded here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Oh yes, ripening tomatoes is no problem here as long as they are started at the right time and have a south exposure to the intense heat and sun of our prairies. Even outside I would start picking ripe toms at the end of July.
Do you add anything extra to the Tomato juice? I have a juicer, I should give it a go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I add nothing to any of my juices. I try to juice in their own liquids, but this is impossible if there is not enough juice, then I add a minimum of water to facilitate.

Commercial juicers are deficient in that they remove all the fiber. I utilize all the plant except for the gross cellulose, which should never be ingested by humans.

The mechanical Champion juicer is a scraper. The best on the market. It extracts the mostest, but is not essential. It was given to me.

I call my process juice but it is really a drinkable slurry, I have pressure canned probably 4000 liter jars of produce and never had a jar go bad. And I enjoy them all I might add.

My motive was/is stimulated by the view that there is something drastically wrong with our commercial food supply evidenced by the 60% obesity statistics. This is my small effort to do something about it, such as it is. I grow most but live in an area where what I don't grow is readily available from local producers. I am always adding new food as they become available. I am retired and have the time to experiment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/March%202017/26%20March%202017%20Black%20Krim%20to%20larger%20pots/HTML/index.htm 26 March 2017 Black Krim to larger pots
The cup pots were getting too small for the Black Krim tomato plant roots, so were moved to larger pots. The pots were placed in containers to facilitate bottom watering. Plants will be kept in the greenhouse until ready for outdoor planting about 25 of May. They are on a heating pad, since the greenhouse is inadequately heated if temperature falls much below freezing.
dsc_5956_std.jpg

Ask a Question