23 February 2017 Starting Tomato Seeds (Black Krim)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/March 2017/24 March 2017 Black Krim Seedlings/HTML/ 24 March 2017 Black Krim Seedlings
Growth from germination after 30 days indicating the efficiency of relatively cheap LED lamps from the local hardware store.These lamps are cool running and should revolutionize home growing under lights.
dsc_5936_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
This is awesome I hope the pannels I got do half as well
Have you got a URL to the panels? When I first started looking at modern lights, I considered the touted LED's to br too expensive, hence my experimenting. The standard hardware store types cheap work quite well, much to my surprise.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I use my living room for starting :)and 20 April I am going to move them to the green house. Nothing is matured in the garden, because there are too cold night in August. My tomatoes live in green house all summer. And I must to open and close the doors each day.

If you use polystyrene or polyfoam cups or trays, you can actually raise the ambient temperature a bit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
And actually after seeing your success I'm contemplating a 300 to 600 watt panel for next year, I'm sure it would illuminate my whole kitchen table

I think those hardware LED flood lamps have a lot of potential to experiment. I also got some brooder (chicken) reflectors that enhance the light. They were $16.00, but probably not necessary but they had the porcelain base also for the socket so well worth the price. I once had an HID lamp but it was so hot one could heat the house. The LED's will certainly do my job of getting seedlings going.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think those hardware LED flood lamps have a lot of potential to experiment. I also got some brooder (chicken) reflectors that enhance the light. They were $16.00, but probably not necessary but they had the porcelain base also for the socket so well worth the price. I once had an HID lamp but it was so hot one could heat the house. The LED's will certainly do my job of getting seedlings going.

What do you think of those 14w panels?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I've always thought about giving Krim a try, every time I come across it in the seed catalogues. I think perhaps next year I will. I've been growing Black Russians for decades and the Purple Cherokee for about five yrs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
What do you think of those 14w panels?
I think the panes are an over priced pile of crap. The shape alone makes them a misery. Three flood lamps as I advocate will cover a large area and they are easy to work with. They also have standard fittings. IMO. A small fan is a bit of a bug since they are not readily available. The objective is to keep the construction to a minimum. In other words to utilize off the shelf readily available fittings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I've always thought about giving Krim a try, every time I come across it in the seed catalogues. I think perhaps next year I will. I've been growing Black Russians for decades and the Purple Cherokee for about five yrs.

I have grown Black from Tula and Cherokee. Cherokee is lousy in that the skin is thick. The Black from Tula is almost identical to Black Krim. This year I am growing Black Krim, Black from Tula, Blue fruit,Russian Black, and Paul Robeson. Three or four plants of each. They are already started as seedlings. I grow around thirty of a variety for mostly juice about 500 pounds. I grow the yellow Lemon Boy which is excellent all around. Usually buy three plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Durgan,
Yes the skin is a bit thick but I love the taste of the fruit even more than the Black Russian. 90% of my toms go into my freezer. I save seeds from the best looking fruit. But they all get blanched, peeled, seeded and rough chopped, then into large and medium freezer bags. A couple pics of one of my morning collections last fall.
P1030650.JPG
P1030647.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
9 August 2016 Tomato Juicing
Posted on August 9, 2016 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2016/August 2016/9 August 2016 Tomato Juicing/HTML/ 9 August 2016 Tomato Juicing
Twenty five pounds of fresh picked tomatoes were made into ten liters of Pressure Canned juice. Each liter jar contains about 2.5 pounds of tomatoes, cooked in their own juices, except for one liter of added water to start the cooking process. Annotated pictures depict the process.
9%20august%202016%20tomatoes0753_std.jpg

Ask a Question