Seed starting question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello there, this will be my 3rd year gardening and this was the year I wanted to start my plants from seeds. I normally just buy starter plants and sow them in, but I figured it would be more fulfilling knowing I started from a tiny seed this year.

Anyways, I will admit I didn't do much research other than how to prepare the cells, heat mats and lighting etc...

I purchased seeds and just put all kinds of vegetables into 1 tray, I kept them grouped together, but for instance I have tomatoes, jalapenos, rosemary, cilantro and a couple lettuce varieties in 1 tray with a dome on it.

I looked yesterday the lettuces and rosemary are already sprouted and growing well. So my question is do I take the dome off and hope my other plant types still germinate or leave the dome on until other types have sprouted?

I realize leaving to dome on leaves me susceptible to fungus so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Wood_Shampoo. :)

Yes, as soon as the seedlings appear the dome should be removed or they will grow leggy. It would be best in the future to sow different seeds in separate pots as they all grow at different rates. Meanwhile the others may well have germinated and they should appear very soon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Wood_Shampoo. :)

Yes, as soon as the seedlings appear the dome should be removed or they will grow leggy. It would be best in the future to sow different seeds in separate pots as they all grow at different rates. Meanwhile the others may well have germinated and they should appear very soon.
Thank you for your input. I guess this was a "live and learn" moment. Next year I will research which seeds germinate at the same time/keep track of when my current seeds appear this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You're welcome. :) It doesn't matter how much experience we have as gardeners and growers, we still have failures and continue to learn from them. Growing from seed is unpredictable and it would be best if you use any instructions as a guideline, and not just for germination. Seeds from the same packet will not necessarily germinate at the same time, this also depends on what heat and light they have too.

Ask a Question