Squash huh

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok planted spaghetti squash from seed from old spaghetti squash. Vines grew long like they should, However on one plant a spaghetti squash grew. On others looked more like zucchini except hard exterior. So I am wondering what i have here. are they regular zucchini (on long vines?) and should be treated as a summer squash (they're big now) or should i treat them as a winter squash which will store for months, And be stringy like spaghetti squash. Can they be a hybrid? cross pollination? thanks to anyone who can help

Reaction score
Country
United States
My bet is that the small squash got less water than the full-growing ones. Here's what google says.
Why are my squash growing so small?
So what could cause the squash to not fully develop? Failing summer squash plants could be caused by a number of issues: improper watering, poor soil or intruding pests such as squash bugs, cucumber beetles and/or vine borers. Inspect stems and leaves for signs of insect damage to rule that out

Reaction score
Country
United States
My bet is that the small squash got less water than the full-growing ones. Here's what google says.
Why are my squash growing so small?
So what could cause the squash to not fully develop? Failing summer squash plants could be caused by a number of issues: improper watering, poor soil or intruding pests such as squash bugs, cucumber beetles and/or vine borers. Inspect stems and leaves for signs of insect damage to rule that out
maybe i wasn't clear
one squash was a healthy full grown spaghetti squash...by all appearances
others were dark green like zucs
but they were hard like winter/spaghetti squash
so if i store in cellar like i am accustomed to storing will they rot like a zuc, or keep like a winter squash?
guess the main question is
What are these squashes?
hybrids?
seems they can't be zucs as seeds were from a spaghetti squash
and they grew on long vines unlike zucs
and hard skin unlike zucs

Reaction score
Country
United States
maybe i wasn't clear
one squash was a healthy full grown spaghetti squash...by all appearances
others were dark green like zucs
but they were hard like winter/spaghetti squash
so if i store in cellar like i am accustomed to storing will they rot like a zuc, or keep like a winter squash?
guess the main question is
What are these squashes?
hybrids?
seems they can't be zucs as seeds were from a spaghetti squash
and they grew on long vines unlike zucs
and hard skin unlike zucs
Can you post a photo?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Spaghetti squash does cross pollinate with zucchini if there is zucchini around. I am not sure if spaghetti squash is hybrid but I never use seeds from last year's crop for anything because so many things are hybrid these days you never know what you will get. So unless you or the neighbors close to you are not growing any zucchini then it's hard to know if it's hybrid or cross pollution that caused it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
these 2 squashes from same seeds ...from old spaghetti squash

clearly one looks like spaghetti squash...other not so muchso still curious about green one..hybrid? cross pollination ? or some other explanation

and is it edible? will it keep like winter squash? etc etc

Attachments

• spaghetti sq 20230828_135749.jpg
    spaghetti sq 20230828_135749.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 6
  • not spaghetti sq 20230828_135558.jpg
    not spaghetti sq 20230828_135558.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
Canada
these 2 squashes from same seeds ...from old spaghetti squash

clearly one looks like spaghetti squash...other not so muchso still curious about green one..hybrid? cross pollination ? or some other explanation

and is it edible? will it keep like winter squash? etc etc
I could be wrong but I don't think it's possible for anyone to answer those questions with 100% accuracy without actually knowing if you planted seeds from a hybrid and being able to taste it to know if it's edible or not. If it tastes good eat it, if it's bitter and not enjoyable then don't eat it, it's the only way to know. Personally I would toss those seeds and spend the couple dollars next year for new ones and don't plant zucchini around them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok planted spaghetti squash from seed from old spaghetti squash. Vines grew long like they should, However on one plant a spaghetti squash grew. On others looked more like zucchini except hard exterior. So I am wondering what i have here. are they regular zucchini (on long vines?) and should be treated as a summer squash (they're big now) or should i treat them as a winter squash which will store for months, And be stringy like spaghetti squash. Can they be a hybrid? cross pollination? thanks to anyone who can help
so I'm at the point where i might as well pick these "squashes"

yes if they taste ok go ahead and eat

other thoughts: spaghetti squash need to ripen on vine, zucchini no

spaghetti squash (and winter squashes) will keep for months (hard skinned) zucchini not

so i've no idea if these will store

the seeds that these plants came from were from a spaghetti squash(at least phenotype) not sure about genotype

next year for sure getting new seeds likely from reputable seed company although i've used seeds from spaghetti store squash

Reaction score
Country
United States
so i tried seeds from spaghetti squash ,,,,again...started in july...SAME SEEDS!!! 2 squashes

pictures attached

one grew like a sp sq light green which will turn tan when ripe...hope i have enough season left

others are shaped like sp sq but dark color

anyway others, from earlier plants were picked and are storing, not rotting like a summer squash would...cooked on and it tasted good but was not stringy like spa sq

so hoping the new ones will be like spaghetti sq

next year gonna buy seeds from reputable company. puzzle still not solved...cross pollination? seeds may have different phenotype?

anybody have opinions

Attachments

• 2n round spa yes.jpg
    2n round spa yes.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2nd round no spa 20230910_165620.jpg
    2nd round no spa 20230910_165620.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Country
United States
well...turns out these looked like spaghetti squash except for the color...after harvest they were cooked and had strings like a spaghetti sq and taste ...so i guess theyre spag sq of a different color..yay!

Ask a Question