Nasty rot on my squash

Reaction score
Country
United States
We've made sure to fortify the soil for our squash, as last year we had huge leaves, but no fruit. This year we have lots of fruit, and several different varieties. However, as you can see from these photos, some mystery rot (fugus?) is starting to ruin the squash, and on more than one plant/species. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. The squash is in raised beds and gets very good afternoon sun exposure. Thanks!

Gary

20230620_093411.jpg
20230620_102515.jpg
20230620_093429.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would say blossom end rot. Could be different reasons, as Chuck mentioned poor pollination. Could also be too much moisture in the soil or wrong PH level. I would check the moisture level, add some calcium and if you don't see many or any bees in the flowers get out a q-tip and make some sweet love to those flowers with it lol.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Soak some garden lime in vinegar to cover and wait 1 day. Pour off the liquid and use the liquid as it has available calcium now. You will not need much per plant. 2-3 tbsp (30+45mL) and after even less (15).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Usually I see the fruit will grow some before seeing blossom end rot. I've never grown patty pans. That to me looks like the female pod (theres a proper name for it but I cant think of it) died from not being pollinated and the pod molded as it died. You can take your finger and press on the side of the pod and it will just fall off. That would mean incomplete pollination.

Ask a Question