Strawberry/beet frost protection

Reaction score
Country
United States
What’s the cheapest way to cover/protect strawberries from frost? Also, I read that I should put a row cover over my beets before they sprout too; does that make sense? Is it important?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The best thing IMO that you can protect from cold/frost is a product called Nsulate. A layer of this fabric will give you at least 6 degrees of protection, more if you add another layer. Soil temperature is important for beet germination and anything below 50F becomes very iffy, especially if there is any rain. So, a row cover is important if it gives temperature/frost protection to the plant and keeps the soil above 50F.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
How hard of a frost are you expecting?

I may get a rain snow mix again tonight. Strawberries have some flowers on them, oh well we'll see. They've been in that bed for almost a year now and in this garden for 3 years now. I don't think strawberries will be hurt by frost unless they're well into flowering or fruit set.

Makes no sense to me to put a cover over un-sprouted beet seeds. Beets hardened off / sprouted outside are good to a hard freeze.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'll second the recommendation for Nsulate. It is a great product and I've used it many times successfully.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1683666334786.png
Is your Nsulate the same as our horticultural fleece ? We keep a big roll of that handy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if yours is like this then Chuck
1683667322968.png
This one is sheep's wool fleece which is a tad heavier - not sure, but I guess it would be more expensive though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wonder if yours is like this then Chuck View attachment 96117 This one is sheep's wool fleece which is a tad heavier - not sure, but I guess it would be more expensive though.
No, ours is not a natural product. I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it appears yours is a little more opaque than ours.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think ours is probably a few miles long - it has lasted for at least four years already, and still has plenty on there - it is sold to the trade in rolls - that's where I got the idea from, and it works out a lot cheaper in the long run.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I think ours is probably a few miles long - it has lasted for at least four years already, and still has plenty on there - it is sold to the trade in rolls - that's where I got the idea from, and it works out a lot cheaper in the long run.
Oh yes it comes in rolls here also. I've used off of this roll for about 5 years and consider it a lifetime supply. Great product!

nsulate.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are tight like me you keep all the flexible foam packing and bubble wrap, I can go out and put an overcoat on half the garden if it gets nasty. I have found bubble wrap stretched over a frame is great for germinating seed too. The frame keeps it just off the ground, but close enough to stop drying out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Is this the same product where there are different weights and I've seen people saying the lightest weight is great for insect control?

I've been thinking about making a few frames for my common raised beds to use as insect control over the likes of my brassica.

Ask a Question