Soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I haven’t got a garden I plant all my things in pots after i got the harvest can I keep using the soil and plant new seeds into it or is it no good as it was used in a pot and will need new soil every time thanks

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would make a compost pile or make a compost bin out of a garbage container and add to it during the summer then toss the earth and whatever is left of the plants in after harvest then wash out the pots. And then you will have nice fresh organic soil for the next year and so on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are talking about annals then I would use new soil every time. If you reuse your old soil it will need to be amended with nutrients.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read so much I really forget over half but there was a study on this and they were saying it was good because basically the soil is broke in and I agree need to add nutrients.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As I haven’t got a garden I plant all my things in pots after i got the harvest can I keep using the soil and plant new seeds into it or is it no good as it was used in a pot and will need new soil every time thanks
I do have a garden but I also have a huge patio so need to use lots of containers. I've been experimenting over the same issue as you for 3 years now.

When you put plants in the ground you feed the soil (by adding compost regularly) and rely on the soil life to create the biproducts that feed the plants. So that's easy - spread a layer of compost once a year and pretty much that's all you need to do to keep plants fed and happy.

In containers you can't really rely on that process - especially with smaller containers. In theory it would work like a small ecosystem, but the moment the pot fills with too much water or dries out too much the soil life dies. So really when you're growing in pots you need to fertilize your soil.

Store bought compost often comes with slow release fertilizer to feed your plants for 4 weeks, 3 months or even 6 months. But eventually the nutrients in the compost run out. At which point you need to water your pots with fertilizer.

Different plants need different levels of nutrients and some plants will grow for years in a small pot with no added fertilizer.

So that's your first issue - you need to make sure that your compost has enough nutrients to feed your plant.

Second issue is that if you've had any disease in your plants that can live on in the compost and infect your plants the following year. So if you've had a problem you may need to throw out the compost and not use it again. But I don't find that happens very often.

Third issue is that potting compost has fibers in it (coir, peat) to hold water and allow air to get to the roots. Over time, shopt bout compost will become too compacted. At which point you'll need to add something to 'fluff it up' a bit.

So, yes - reuse it for ever UNTIL you get some kind of infection that could live on in the soil. At that point I guess you could either throw out or consider sterilizing with steam or something?

Next issue is, if the plant requires it, adding fertilizer and perhaps minerals. You need to feed your plants (not the soil) when they're in pots.

Third issue is to replenish it every so often with some home made compost, shop compost, manure, coir, peat, perlite etc. Lots of things you can use depenndig upon what's available.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States

I have done soil tests on containers both "before" and "after". The results were striking. Starting with "No N-P-K- required" before and after growing potatoes in container it was almost totally depleted of vital nutrients. The degree of depletion does depend on the crop grown.

So, yes, my belief is the soil in containers needs to be either replenished or replaced. Soil tests don't lie.

I have a regular garden so I can just change out the soil in a container with ease. Hügelkultur containers make that very simple and effective, indeed. Also, Hügelkultur containers significantly reduce the amount of soil required.

However, if you don't have access to strong garden soil for replacement, I believe you can replenish that depleted container soil in situ by applying techniques of cover cropping. I'll report on my demonstration of this at a later date when completed but here is a snapshot of where I'm at currently.

small scale 4.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reading makes me scared of Compost. And even more scared of Super Soil.

Spend thousands of dollars a year on seed. Yes it would devast me to lose this because I tried to make Cheaper and Better.

I'm in the process of changing Soil and Fertilizer. Not going to be Happy if I'm wrong.

big rockpile

Ask a Question