Soil need help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’m new to gardening and started finding this in my soil and don’t know what it is any help would be much appreciated thank you
ABCB2A86-EF80-4911-96D6-FF423AE022D1.jpeg

Attachments

• 34A5580E-1B30-41CA-B785-430081FFFB53.jpeg
    34A5580E-1B30-41CA-B785-430081FFFB53.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Daniel, welcome to the forums. Our first thought has to be fungus - which is no problem. This is just to do with the bark chippings rotting down, and won't hurt anything. One picture looks as if there might just be a slug egg or two in there as well, but again, that is all just a part of gardening.
As you say you are new to gardening, my very best advice to you would be to refrain from using poisons in your garden. The more you can allow the creatures to survive, the better, as they tend to sort each other out quite well. It is a bug eat bug environment!! There is a need for us all to try and grow as many vegetables as we can at the present time, as food seems to be getting very scarce, and what is available is not only expensive, but also not so healthy when sprayed with insecticides. There are lots of ways to protect your plants without killing everything that crawls - and plenty of other gardeners here to get advice from.
Enjoy the space you have - it is a really therapeutic hobby ... and you get more rain in Wales than we do here in Kent. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Daniel, welcome to the forums. Our first thought has to be fungus - which is no problem. This is just to do with the bark chippings rotting down, and won't hurt anything. One picture looks as if there might just be a slug egg or two in there as well, but again, that is all just a part of gardening.
As you say you are new to gardening, my very best advice to you would be to refrain from using poisons in your garden. The more you can allow the creatures to survive, the better, as they tend to sort each other out quite well. It is a bug eat bug environment!! There is a need for us all to try and grow as many vegetables as we can at the present time, as food seems to be getting very scarce, and what is available is not only expensive, but also not so healthy when sprayed with insecticides. There are lots of ways to protect your plants without killing everything that crawls - and plenty of other gardeners here to get advice from.
Enjoy the space you have - it is a really therapeutic hobby ... and you get more rain in Wales than we do here in Kent. (y)
Thanks for the response I got another picture of it that’s on the side of a grow bag do you think it’s fine or

Attachments

• FE9E6CAD-9624-4848-BC3F-6C3493AA718C.jpeg
    FE9E6CAD-9624-4848-BC3F-6C3493AA718C.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still can't say exactly if that's a fungus or eggs. You would need a microscope to check it out. The chances still are that it's perfectly ok, and is likely to be a fungus as the chippings, which are damp, are rotting - quite normal.

As an edit Daniel, if you are really worried about this, it would be prudent to refrain from planting in that area until you have had a sample of the mould tested.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still can't say exactly if that's a fungus or eggs. You would need a microscope to check it out. The chances still are that it's perfectly ok, and is likely to be a fungus as the chippings, which are damp, are rotting - quite normal.

As an edit Daniel, if you are really worried about this, it would be prudent to refrain from planting in that area until you have had a sample of the mould tested.
Thank you for your replies it’s been much appreciated and reassuring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daniel, I had another thought. If you want to get rid of that fungus, you need to mix one part white vinegar with four parts water in a watering can, and water it with that. It should kill off the fungus within about three days.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daniel, I had another thought. If you want to get rid of that fungus, you need to mix one part white vinegar with four parts water in a watering can, and water it with that. It should kill off the fungus within about three days.
Thank you

Ask a Question