Gravel or Soil

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have an area along a Fence that use to be a Driveway but now is grass.

I was thinking of having a load of soil brought in and planting Perennials.

My Son said just bring a Post Auger in and dig through the gravel and plant.

If this will work cool but if it doesn't bunch of work for nothing.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stick to your idea. I grow loads of perennials, and they would not like to be planted in just gravel.
Don't forget, that son of yours still has a lot to learn. Has he started cutting next winter's wood yet?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Stick to your idea. I grow loads of perennials, and they would not like to be planted in just gravel.
Don't forget, that son of yours still has a lot to learn. Has he started cutting next winter's wood yet?
I think me and my Son have made it a thing of criticizing.

He was looking for pots yesterday and none of his have drain holes. He gets on me for using some Fiber Pots and he plants in 3 gallon Pots where I would use 5.

He did talk me into putting some plants outside.

I'm wanting to put Perennials along this Fence I'm thinking have dirt brought in and just broadcasting Perennial Wildflower Seed along it.

20230605_083317.jpg

As far as wood I had some Trees cut so he has a buch that needs to be split with the Splitter I bought and put in the Wood Shed.

If that isn't enough there is plenty of dead ones because of the drought.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't you dig up a strip of ground on the edge of the gravel? It would save buying the soil. Otherwise - go for it, if it makes it easier. Didn't you say you lost an arm? Wildflowers would be great, but you could cheat and put a few posh ones in as well.
It sure would look better with some flowers to brighten it up!

PS... what's in those pots then?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basically House Plants I was just getting them out of the Greenhouse.

Can't dig along there because I planted Redbud Trees about 9 years ago there. Believe it or not my neighbors from Canada put the Fence up because I wouldn't give them a third of my property because we weren't using it. They actually tried suing me for it. Then they put the Fence on the line and got mad at me for not letting them come over and maintaining it on my side.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear, we've got a difficult neighbour as well. At least you don't have to see them now the fence is there. Are they youngsters too?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh dear, we've got a difficult neighbour as well. At least you don't have to see them now the fence is there. Are they youngsters too?
No they are older and they only come down every so often but thinking of moving here.

They have a Dog and walks it over on KOA to take a dump because they don't want it in their yard.

On the other side is a Cop. Had a building on my property full of Antiques. I put a lock on it. He came unglued.

Went to my Lawyer he told me knowing the guy try to sell it to him.

He was all over it because he thought he owned part of my Garage.

I told him that I wanted him to pay for the Survey and have the paperwork done. He was all over.

Then the Survey said the line ran by his Back door and the other neighbor owned half his Garage. Then he finds out he can't drive to the building without going through my place.

Month ago he said the Survey didn't matter.

big rockpile

Ask a Question