How to lay a gravel path with paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I currently have paving slabs sunk into my lawn as stepping stones. I did this by simply cutting holes in the lawn, adding a layer of paving sand and then adding the slabs, which has worked well so far. I now want to gravel around the slabs to widen the path and so I don't have to always mow around the slabs.

So what would be the proper technique/tools/materials? I'm not hugely handy at physical work and as I'm currently pregnant I'm thinking it's probably best to look for professional help, I just want to know more about the job in hand.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Marv1e. :)

If the slabs are sunk low enough into the lawn then the mower should pass over them without damage to the blades.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have gravel all round my home and don't have a problem mowing as long as the blades aren't on their lowest setting.
And its settled down too! I like the idea of mortared stones on multiple levels. But I guess one would have to dig it all up to sink either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome,

We've some stepping stones in the lawn, two concrete circles with pots on them and a York stone path to the right of the lawn.

P1040044.JPG

The left side of the lawn has brick edging, as have three feature beds

P1040045.JPG

My Flymo passes over all of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So..... to actually answer the question you asked..... I would suggest a fairly coarse crushed rock type, so it will not be flung around by your mower running next to it or kicked onto the grass. Cut out the area like you did for the slabs. Put in some edging to contain the gravel and stop the grass growing into it. Line the bottom with some and landscape fabric so that the gravel does not gradually disappear into the soil and become a muddy. You will have to spring for a complete small roll, but it's not expensive. (Plastic is not good because water will not drain through it.) It looks like you understand perfectly well about keeping hardscape lower than the grass.

BTW: Nice yard!! Great use of low maintenance perennials and color. Love the Wisteria. The gazebo would be a great place for spa/hot tub? We had one much like that down in Oregon. Keeps the debris - and rain - out and it's cozy to use all year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
/////It looks like you understand perfectly well about keeping hardscape lower than the grass.

BTW: Nice yard!! Great use of low maintenance perennials and color. Love the Wisteria. The gazebo would be a great place for spa/hot tub? We had one much like that down in Oregon. Keeps the debris - and rain - out and it's cozy to use all year.

Thanks, but our summerhouse is aslready full of "boys toys."

Ask a Question