Strange unknown substance spreading across gravel driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum group.

Really in need of some help here. I have this 'stuff' spreading across our stone driveway. It seemed to have started out in/around some standing water by a recessed manhole and over a few weeks it spread outwards, before I had to try and get rid of it.

When the area is wet is when this seems to thrive and spread, and it seems dormant on dry areas, however under the stones is rarely dry and quite often damp. I have been hoping warmer weather would help but seemingly the UK doesn't want to get warm this year......

It is hard to describe(pictures attached). When it is dry it looks/feels fluffy and feathery, and comes apart quite easily in your hand. When it is wet, it is more slimy.

I have searched the internet and have not come across any other images that look like this. The closest thing I found was Nostoc algae, however it doesn't really look like any of the pictures of that and none of the solutions for that have worked.

I have tried the following, but nothing has even worked in the slightest:
Weed killer
blow torch
lifting up all the stones and cleaning them with a jet washer
sodium carbonate(diluted in water)
copper carbonate(diluted in water)
algae and fungus killer
mould and mildew remover
white vinegar
covering the area for a few weeks with a tarp

Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be and/or how to tackle it?

Appreciate any help anyone can give:

Regards,

Adam

6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum group.

Really in need of some help here. I have this 'stuff' spreading across our stone driveway. It seemed to have started out in/around some standing water by a recessed manhole and over a few weeks it spread outwards, before I had to try and get rid of it.

When the area is wet is when this seems to thrive and spread, and it seems dormant on dry areas, however under the stones is rarely dry and quite often damp. I have been hoping warmer weather would help but seemingly the UK doesn't want to get warm this year......

It is hard to describe(pictures attached). When it is dry it looks/feels fluffy and feathery, and comes apart quite easily in your hand. When it is wet, it is more slimy.

I have searched the internet and have not come across any other images that look like this. The closest thing I found was Nostoc algae, however it doesn't really look like any of the pictures of that and none of the solutions for that have worked.

I have tried the following, but nothing has even worked in the slightest:
Weed killer
blow torch
lifting up all the stones and cleaning them with a jet washer
sodium carbonate(diluted in water)
copper carbonate(diluted in water)
algae and fungus killer
mould and mildew remover
white vinegar
covering the area for a few weeks with a tarp

Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be and/or how to tackle it?

Appreciate any help anyone can give:

Regards,

Adam

View attachment 79257View attachment 79258View attachment 79259View attachment 79260View attachment 79261View attachment 79262
Since it is living on stone I would say that it is an epiphyte of some sort, more than likely a lichen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Do be cautious, there may be a danger of infection if this is from the drains.

It seems a bit twee to say ''Welcome to the forum :)'' - but Welcome to the forum anyway.

Please let us know how you get on with the problem.

PS - you might need professional assistance https://restorationmasterfinder.com/restoration/how-to-clean-sewage-backup/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Do be cautious, there may be a danger of infection if this is from the drains.

It seems a bit twee to say ''Welcome to the forum :)'' - but Welcome to the forum anyway.

Please let us know how you get on with the problem.

Thanks for the reply. I have had issues of the drain being blocked where the manhole cover is, but seeing as the waste pipe is about 6ft down, I didn't think it would affect ground level. As of now lift the manhole up and there isn't a clear blockage,(I can see water come out shortly after flushing), but something is definitely spreading on surface level still.

I have no idea what to do, or who would be the best person to get out to look at it. A driveway installer, a plumber, gardener,water company etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your first port of call is the water company. You need to be sure whether it is a private or shared sewage drain. Seek urgent advice from them first. You could also contact your local Council for advice and assistance.

Ask a Question