Can I plant bulbs through 20mm gravel?

Reaction score
Leicestershire- Message me for plant swapping
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am disabled and have covered my garden with 20mm gravel. They stop weeds better than 10mm gravel. Apparently if I plant bulbs under this 10mm would work according to Google answers. But would 20mm still work do you think & allow there shoots through. Are you undecided like me?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Virtually any bulb should be able to push through 20 mm of gravel. Do take this added layer into account when planting bulbs to their recommended depth.

Reaction score
Leicestershire- Message me for plant swapping
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Just to clarify did all concerned understand that I was talking about the grade of gravel as in I bought 20mm grade. Thus it's trying to push past that size of gravel which is more weighty. Would you reform your answer based on this Marck or would it stay the same.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I still wouldn't be too concerned. Many bulbs push through rocky alpine or desertic soils in nature. So how thickly laid is this 20 mm gravel?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that amount of gravel is within the bound of reason for most larger bulbs, but it is more than I personally use in my rock garden beds. If you are planting now, take the gravel depth into account when planting. If they are already planted, weigh your desire to suppress every single weed versus the possibility of losing some bulbs. Some bulbs will happily surprise you with their upthrusting vigor, others may not... Obviously at some point a bulb can be buried too deeply, but even the recommended planting depths for bulbs are just averages.

Ask a Question