Would it be feasible to plant bulbs indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Would it be a good idea to plant bulbs indoors? This is something that I've been thinking about before winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hyacinths, tulips, and paper whites (narcissi) can be forced to bloom indoors. I've never done it, but have seen it done. There are special vases for holding the bulb above water but letting the roots dangle and drink. Bulbs can also be forced in soil by moderating temperature and keeping the pot damp but not wet.
Is that what you meant? If you meant to plant bulbs indoors and transplant in spring to a flower garden, that isn't a good idea. Bulbs generally don't like to be disturbed, whether daffodils, tulips, or onions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
Well, with a big enough container and the right requirements, anything could be grown indoors.

I've seen bulbs grown in vases that were too small for the bulb to go down in, but big enough to hold it. Something like this:
il_340x270.478666743_jw4k.jpg

I'm not sure how well it would grow though, they don't really like being grown inside from my experience. They'll grow, just not very fast and I never got flowers. I planted mine in dirt though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always thought so, but my neighbor just planted tulip bulbs for the spring! I thought that they would freeze in the winter figuring we live in an area that gets snow. However, he told that they will survive. He always has such a beautiful garden so I believe him!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am seeing packages of tulips, hyacinths, and narcissi selling at Meijer and Home Depot, and some of them are beginning to gloom, so I have the same thought about growing them indoors through the winter here.

It would be nice to see spring flowers while the outside is covered with snow :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I grow. It is not difficult.
In the fall they should be planted in a pot and to hold at a temperature 35,6- 37.4 °F .
(not less than 2.5 months.)
When flowers are necessary - it is necessary to put in heat.
IMG_1928.JPG IMG_1951.JPG IMG_1953.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_9975.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Those are certainly beautiful flowers Larisa! I have always grown my bulb flowers outside, but it looks like you have proof it can be done inside as well. I agree with IcyBC about how nice it would be to have spring flowers indoors before winter is over. Where I live it sometimes even snows in March and I have had crocus coming up through the snow.

Ask a Question