So what did you can this year?

Reaction score
*I wasn't sure exactly where to put this so if it needs to be moved go right on ahead!*

This year I did a lot of applesauce, some spaghetti sauce and lots and lots of juice. I was gifted this last year (link is in Polish but you can see the picture). Bascially water goes in the bottom pot, the fruit and sugar in the top and the steam from the bottom goes through the middle, steams the fruit and the juice drips down to the middle and you put it into a jar using the tube. It is genius! I made lots of raspberry juice, black currant and cherry as well! It is very concentrated and it goes with warm water for the kids on a cold morning!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not a thing this year, pretty much total crop failure due to the weather.

Still got pickled beetroot and various chutneys left over from last seasons bumper harvest though.

I normally make Rose Hip Syrup in the autumn, but haven't this year because of the lack of berries for the migrant birds, they're going to need them more than me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I make raspberry juice every year. I love it, it's healthy and the most delicious. It's so thick and sweet. During winter, I always add it to my tea or I just mix it with hot water.

Reaction score
Oh I know Claudine, and it really is quite easy to make. That pot set makes it really easy.
We also make nalewka!! This year we make with black currant, tart cherry and quince! My mother in law also makes quince juice for the kids. It is so high in vitamin c!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Nalewka are the most delicious - especially these made from lemons or cherries. My mother always makes them and we drink them during cold evenings:D

Reaction score
What did I can.....I canned Mexican Chicken soup (only with Bunny), Chili, Shredded Beef, Tomatoes, Chili Sauce (sloppy joe sauce), pickles, green beans, Jalapeno Blackberry and Blueberry Jam, Apricot Jam, Peach Jam, Fruit Coctail, Pickled Peppers, I think that is pretty much it...

Reaction score
I don't can, but I do have a question, if I might. My aunt gave me a jar of home made strawberry jam, sealed of course, But she suddenly passed away, a year ago, & I am having a difficult time opening it. Now I don't know how long I can keep it & still eat it.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Is the difficult time opening it because you know after you open it you have to eat it and it won't be around anymore? It will not keep forever, you should do your Aunt proud, and eat it and reflect on your memories of her.

Reaction score
I think she would be happy to know that you enjoyed the thing she made with her time, hands and love. So I say go get some amazing, or make your own, bread and slather that with that lovely jam!!

Reaction score
I wish I knew how to jar and can like my grandma always did. I use freezer containers and bags and freeze most all of my vegetables, onions, squash, even herbs like parsley, celery, tomatoes, peppers, etc. During the winter I can make fresh soups and stews and all the chopping is done!

Reaction score
Nothing, I'm still working on learning how to make useful things with fruits and veggies (apart from cooking with them and making juices with them). I'd like to make my own liquor, I'd start with a limonetto. I'd also like to learn how to make quince dessert:

Cajeta_Ate+de+Membrillo.jpg

This is done with the quince pulp, sugar and water.

Reaction score
I would love to can, but I am too afraid to do it. I keep thinking the jars will explode or I will end up poisoning my family. Weird thoughts, yes. I just need someone to teach me how.

Reaction score
We had too much rain this year. Our garden was never planted due to that. I didn't get to go strawberry picking as I normally would and I didn't get to go pick blueberries or blackberries either. I am hoping that next year will be better. I do a bit of canning in the cooler months because our summers are horrible. The canning goes much smoother and it warms the house in the fall and winter months. I am hoping to get some applesauce canned and some apple pie filling soon. I also froze the syrup from the canned pineapples and canned peaches that I dehydrated this summer. I plan on using the syrups to make pineapple jelly and peach jelly. I did do quite a bit of dehydrating this summer. I dehydrated peaches, pineapples, cilantro and a few bags of frozen veggies such as carrots, peas and corn.

Ask a Question