So what actually kills aphids?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
'Dish soap' confused me rotten when I first came across it, we call it 'washing up liquid'
The stuff I use is a bar of actual soap (not detergent), I use it for shaving and keep it in a soap dish by the sink.
See why it confused me?
I have never truly experimented properly, but I have used 'washing up liquid' (AKA dish soap) when I didn't have the real thing, and I had the impression it really didn't work as well. I didn't get that thick lather, but maybe it is just that I enjoy that and the feeling the little b's are suffering :)
(and dying)

PS It works on blackfly on my broad beans as well.
In my small world, soaps are surfacants, not degreasers. They leave behind grease and silicone. Detergents in my world are degreasers strong enough for dishes or my engines and will remove oils from poison ivy or the silicones of wax I accidently get on plastic parts of my cars.

As far as plants go, soap made via saponification is a pretty big deal since it means the soap was based from natural ingredients and seems better suited to a gentle porpiose than a petroleum based solvent detergent like Dawn dish washing liquid. You would not want to harm your plant, or dolphin for that matter, whilst cleansing it of some icky thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking my mix the Peppermint Oil is want works because most insects hate it.

I tried Neem being stupid put it on in middle of the day. Had some burning.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my small world, soaps are surfacants, not degreasers. They leave behind grease and silicone. Detergents in my world are degreasers strong enough for dishes or my engines and will remove oils from poison ivy or the silicones of wax I accidently get on plastic parts of my cars.

As far as plants go, soap made via saponification is a pretty big deal since it means the soap was based from natural ingredients and seems better suited to a gentle porpiose than a petroleum based solvent detergent like Dawn dish washing liquid. You would not want to harm your plant, or dolphin for that matter, whilst cleansing it of some icky thing.
Right. Detergents like Dawn can dry the leaves of the plant out with overuse but I haven't any problems with it at that dose and I don't use any other brand of detergent. So beware of that. I don't just go out and spray my garden plants with it either for no reason. I always scout for insects then decide what I should use, if anything.

Walmart has Dr Bronners Castile soap if you guys don't want to use detergents but the dose may have to be modified a bit. Also they make an "insecticidal soap" which is a soap too.

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I totally feel your frustration with aphids:mad:. Here are some condensed suggestions:

1. Neem Oil - It can disrupt aphid life cycles. Use as directed.
  2. Beneficial Insects - Consider introducing ladybugs or lacewings. They're natural aphid predators.
  3. Insecticidal Soaps - Designed for soft-bodied insects and can be effective against aphids.
  4. Water Spray - A strong water stream can help knock them off your plants.
  5. Sticky Traps - Yellow sticky traps can capture the winged ones.
  6. Systemic Insecticides - If you're leaning towards non-organic, these can deter aphids when they feed. Just make sure they're safe for edibles.
Remember to monitor plants regularly, and adjust the garden environment if it's too humid, aphids love humidity!! Best of luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
'Dish soap' confused me rotten when I first came across it, we call it 'washing up liquid'
The stuff I use is a bar of actual soap (not detergent), I use it for shaving and keep it in a soap dish by the sink.
See why it confused me?
I have never truly experimented properly, but I have used 'washing up liquid' (AKA dish soap) when I didn't have the real thing, and I had the impression it really didn't work as well. I didn't get that thick lather, but maybe it is just that I enjoy that and the feeling the little b's are suffering :)
(and dying)

PS It works on blackfly on my broad beans as well.
It is called that here too sometimes, but going out of favor - less of a mouthful. Two syllables instead of 5 - were' big on efficient speak and euphemisms! FYI, if you ever come over here "bathroom" also means toilet, depending on context. Restroom also means toilet - you wouldn't want to be taking a rest in there...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Dawn is a good dish soap for that. Ladybugs work great, but DK about indoors. You can buy them in bags of about 1,000 to 1,500 here and scatter them on your plants to go to work. Fascinating to watch too, munching on the aphids. For outdoors we also use praying mantis. You can buy the egg cases. They will munch on any insects. They are naturalized around where we live. One or two indoors might not be a bad idea, but not for us - we have cats.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I totally feel your frustration with aphids:mad:. Here are some condensed suggestions:

1. Neem Oil - It can disrupt aphid life cycles. Use as directed.
  2. Beneficial Insects - Consider introducing ladybugs or lacewings. They're natural aphid predators.
  3. Insecticidal Soaps - Designed for soft-bodied insects and can be effective against aphids.
  4. Water Spray - A strong water stream can help knock them off your plants.
  5. Sticky Traps - Yellow sticky traps can capture the winged ones.
  6. Systemic Insecticides - If you're leaning towards non-organic, these can deter aphids when they feed. Just make sure they're safe for edibles.
Remember to monitor plants regularly, and adjust the garden environment if it's too humid, aphids love humidity!! Best of luck!
It's an indoor garden so I can't spray water on it. Neem oil spray did absolutely nothing. I keep a fan on the plants 24/7, and a dehumidifier in the next room. But it is NW Oregon, so it's humid here.
I've tried all the natural options/home remedies that are doable in an indoor garden, and none of it did anything.
I got some Azamax concentrate and that has been working for over a year now. It's systemic and suitable for organic gardening. I have to spray 2-4 times a month and it keeps the aphids away without hurting the plants. They always come back 1-3 weeks after each spray, but spraying again takes them out again, and they never multiply to an infestation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The way you describe them returning makes me think there must be a reservoir somewhere. When you have treated your plants it might be worth taking them out of the room and treating the whole room to a dose of insecticide. Over here you can get things you spray all around, walking backwards to the door which you exit and shut behind you. I believe there are also ;bombs' you light and they release an insecticide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The way you describe them returning makes me think there must be a reservoir somewhere. When you have treated your plants it might be worth taking them out of the room and treating the whole room to a dose of insecticide. Over here you can get things you spray all around, walking backwards to the door which you exit and shut behind you. I believe there are also ;bombs' you light and they release an insecticide.
It's just a dining room in an apartment. Plants on the "dinner" table with a sheet hanging from the ceiling to block the light from the living room. They're not in an isolated room and I have to keep the windows open at night. I can't stop the bugs from coming in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose you are just going to have to go on as you are then, you could try the shaving brush and unscented plain soap method I use, but it won't rain in there so you might have to wash it off a couple of days after.
On a side note, I learned that the ministry of agriculture over here has towers dotted about with a vacuum generator and a filter at the bottom of a tall tube so they can track swarms of aphids. It means they can warn farmers when to spray and so reduce the amount of insecticide sprayed.
PS, Just thought, a frame with fine net over the window, like they use in tropical countries to keep out mosquitoes, might help.

Ask a Question