Is Plastic Sheeting that's Not Actually "Clear" Ok?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi:

A question now about the greenhouse I currently have. It's more of a hoop house to extend my growing season a little. I installed some 6 mil "clear" plastic, but the only problem is that it is not really clear. You can't quite see through it. When it was hot, this didn't seem like a problem, but now with shorter days and less sun, I'm wondering if this kind of plastic is going to rob my tomatoes of precious sunlight. See the link below for the exact kind I bought at Lowes. Should I get some plastic which is actually clear?

Thanks!
John

http://www.lowes.com/pd_16925-18632-RSLW610-25C___?productId=50414222&pl=1&Ntt=6+mil+clear+plastic

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You should use UV proof plastic. Suntuf is one name. The cheaper common stuff cracks in about three years must be replaced.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HKERY 5 November 2010 Greenhouse on Deck.

I decided to build a large greenhouse on the deck, which doesn’t get much use. The enclosure will be a sun room if appropriate, instead of the canvas structure that use to be there. I have a small 10,000 BTU heater that connects to the barbecue natural gas outlet, so will have some warmth, and will get some use during the Winter months. It took nine days to build by myself, about 72 hours of labor, from 28 of October to 5 November, and cost $1798.63.

Description of the construction. Six, 6 by 6 pillars support the structure. The auxiliary supports are all 2 by 6 spruce planks. Two doors were installed plus a window to ensure reasonably good ventilation. I got the doors free of charge. The slope of the roof is from 8 feet to 7 feet, with a pitch of 1 in 12. Sun is available for about two third of the structure all day. Wood was used to cover the walls where no Sun penetrates. Corrugated SUNTUF UV protected panels was used. It is relatively low cost compared to other coverings, and is almost indestructible. Pictures depict highlights of the method used. Plans were in my head.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yes, if light gets through, it is fine. Think of those twin walled greenhouses. You can't really see through them, or when you see a lot of commercial tunnels, they're not clear either.

Ask a Question