I Actually Saved A Plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just recently, we purchased a basil and a rosemary. The rosemary was doing good, but the basil was dieing. Last night it was limped over but still green. I put water with low dose aspirin in it. With in a few our it perked up and this morning it is thriving. I am so amazed, it is going to live. I have never saved a plant before.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
There is no greater joy than bringing back an almost dead plant to life. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Congratulations, Kevinkimers!:) You did a great job. Saving plants is a wonderful thing to do, isn't it? I sometimes buy weak looking plants just because I feel sorry for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I finally have broken my record! I am no longer a serial plant killer. I wish I had taken a snap shot of him when he was laying down. He looked pretty pathetic. Here is a pic of him now though... has a lot of brown spots but we are trimming them off. Going to replant him very soon also. Waiting until he is stronger and still trying to find the perilite we have sitting around here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I finally have broken my record! I am no longer a serial plant killer. I wish I had taken a snap shot of him when he was laying down. He looked pretty pathetic. Here is a pic of him now though... has a lot of brown spots but we are trimming them off. Going to replant him very soon also. Waiting until he is stronger and still trying to find the perilite we have sitting around here.

I like the way you call your plant a 'he' :) There is no picture though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Whoops, Sorry bout that. Here you go

img002.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congratulations on saving your plant, it is a good feeling to save a plant that you have given care to and it responds in a postive manner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It doesn't seem to be doing too good right now. Will post pictures of it soon. Just transplanted to a new pot and want to give it a little time before doing too much more. Might put baby aspirin in its water. That usually helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow! Kudos to you! I have never heard of adding aspirin to the water of the plant. That is very interesting! Is the aspirin to be used when a plant is under-watered? I would love to know more about when to use that remedy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It is best to apply powdered aspirin directly to water that is touching the roots, but you can apply it to the water you put on the soil also. I just get a pinch of Goodies and put it in the water and it does the trick. Works great for keeping cut flowers longer also. If your plant looks sad such as droopy leaves or loss of color it should help, but don't put more then a pinch of the regular and a whole crushed pill of the low dose. It can kill them if you overdose. Only once every two waterings after that until the plant perks up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow. Thank you for the lengthy and informative reply. I had a plant (recently deceased, RIP) where I think this could've definitely helped. I'm saving your instructions for the next time one of my green friends goes under. Thank you, again!

Ask a Question