So Many Gorgeous New Plants!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Yeah, here in Tennessee we had snow showers yesterday. For crying out loud, we're in the South and getting snow still. Of course, the week before it was in the 70s, so foolish me thought the cold weather was over.

However, the tulips and daylilies are coming up, they're about 6-8" inches tall. It won't be long before the tulips bloom. It's so nice to go outside and stroll around the gardens and see what's starting to come alive. The mums are putting out these little leaves, the sedum is starting to come alive. And I finally remembered what I had planted where another bunch of sprouts were coming up - coneflower. My husband almost pulled them thinking they were weeds. :(

Yea!! It won't be long now. :D If we can just keep the snow at bay.
HI galmal. It's interesting to hear what survives the snow. I've tried cornflowers a couple of times as I love them but they haven't survived. Maybe I'll try a different spot. We don't have snow so maybe I have them in too much sun. Luckily my husband doesn't garden so he's not a threat too them!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Isn't it amazing how something so simple can provide so much pleasure? We had pink tulips in the store this past week. I was tempted to get some, but as you know I have my hands full with plants for the moment, lol.
I agree ChanellG. It is amazing such pleasure we get from something so simple. Only we gardeners understand.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The more plants, the better:D I'm happy for you, ChanellG!
I bought 10 tulip bulbs today. They'll be grown indoors in two glass vases. I'm so excited!:D
Having your beautiful tulips so close at hand indoors will double the pleasure Claudine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Having your beautiful tulips so close at hand indoors will double the pleasure Claudine.
Unfortunately, all the bulbs started rotting:cry: I had to get rid of them. But I'll definitely keep trying to grow tulips indoors, I don't give up easily:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I do not remember when it was the last time that I visited any nursery as my garden has no space to plant any more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I live in a village and since I embarked on my gardening obsession 4 years ago I frequent the local Emerald Village Nursery regularly to the point where I'm teased relentlessly but I must admit accurately. One friend says I should have car park especially for me. On one occasion I was heading to a shop on the way and my car just automatically drove there. I took it as sign I was meant to buy a particular plant. A new plant is soooo exciting. I'm so pleased to be able to share this with people who feels the same way. Thanks to you all.

Deborah Jane, I am in a plant swap group on Facebook and are a bunch of card carrying enablers, lol. I'll go to someone's home to swap or pick up a plant that's been offered and many times they'll send me home with additional things. The people I've met in person thus far are quite like-minded and it's come up a few times recently how much of a sense of community we all have together. Thank goodness for the internet!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, all the bulbs started rotting:cry: I had to get rid of them. But I'll definitely keep trying to grow tulips indoors, I don't give up easily:)

Claudine were you growing them in soil or in a vase with water? In a vase they need to have drainage material like marbles in the bottom so that only the roots are sitting in water, and there needs to be enough material to allow for root growth and a few inches worth of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I do not remember when it was the last time that I visited any nursery as my garden has no space to plant any more.

That's just sad, Grouie. Maybe I'll arrive at that feeling some day, but I agree with what @LIcenter said, as the saying goes, there is always room for one more plant in a pot, on a porch, in a hanging basket/pot... Things don't live forever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine were you growing them in soil or in a vase with water? In a vase they need to have drainage material like marbles in the bottom so that only the roots are sitting in water, and there needs to be enough material to allow for root growth and a few inches worth of water.
I was growing them in a vase with water and I did remember about the drainage material. You can see them here:
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/growing-tulips-indoors.4628/
I honestly don't know what I did wrong:( But I blame the climate. The air here is humid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was growing them in a vase with water and I did remember about the drainage material. You can see them here:
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/growing-tulips-indoors.4628/
I honestly don't know what I did wrong:( But I blame the climate. The air here is humid.

Claudine, my guess would be that the vase was too tall. I've mentioned before in those cut and come again discussions about putting the bottoms of green/spring onion in a glass of water to let the tops grow back. They can get all mildewed and nasty in a tall glass. Next time try tour tulips in a shallow bowl.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, my guess would be that the vase was too tall. I've mentioned before in those cut and come again discussions about putting the bottoms of green/spring onion in a glass of water to let the tops grow back. They can get all mildewed and nasty in a tall glass. Next time try tour tulips in a shallow bowl.
But won't they fall over if I put them in a shallow bowl? I was worried about it and this is why I chose that vase. Tulips can grow quite tall.

Ask a Question