Snakes The Garden

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Beth, I think you are on to something with the bowls of water! During our drought we had snakes under our water harvesting cubes (shaded, and somewhat moist from the spills when we filled buckets) and I found one curled up in a partly filled watering can. Since the poster in Kenya can't get rid of the snakes, he could keep them at bay with a couple of water stations. It certainly sounds like it would be worth a try!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Beth, I think you are on to something with the bowls of water! During our drought we had snakes under our water harvesting cubes (shaded, and somewhat moist from the spills when we filled buckets) and I found one curled up in a partly filled watering can. Since the poster in Kenya can't get rid of the snakes, he could keep them at bay with a couple of water stations. It certainly sounds like it would be worth a try!
I hadn't thought of it but it makes sense. I have a leaky water trough that I tried to keep full during our severe drought for all of the wildlife living here and many times when I went to fill it there was some kind of snake nearby that my dogs sniffed out. That could be why so many people in Kenya are finding them in their house, they come in looking for water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The water suggestion was in the video posted above...it certainly would be worth a try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
My house is in the woods. We have a lot of snakes. They are not poisonous. We live in the world.
IMG_6892.JPG IMG_6340.JPG
Now the climate is changing. Poisonous snakes becomes greater. If I see - kill. My son is allergic. I have to protect.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Are they poisonous snakes? I have garter snakes in my garden but they are absolutely harmless so I love to see them. :)

I suppose, depending on the type of snakes one way would be removing whatever is attracting them to your garden. Or perhaps some sort of deterrent sprinkled on the ground?
I am not good at identifying snakes. Maybe I will have to upload a photo when I come across one. I have come across green, shiny two metre long snakes and black shiny snakes. I usually run since I don't know whether they are harmless or no. I have never managed to kill one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One good snake=one less mouse
While that's true, I think I'd feel safer with the mouse.
That, and it's so much simpler to get rid of a mouse than it is for a snake, and they are typically FAR less dangerous.

Ask a Question