Snake in my oven

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Cats generally don't deal with snakes--they expect their staff (humans) to take care of that.
We had a snake in the kitchen once. My husband woke up late one night to hear something fall in the kitchen. He went out and two of our baskets were on the floor. When he looked where they should have been hanging, there was a snake (according to him it was a boa constrictor, but in actuality it was a 2' garden snake). He grabbed a pair of tongs, got hold of the snake and tossed it out into the yard. When he came to bed I asked him what that noise had been, and he said it was a snake knocking down some of our baskets. I asked if the snake was still with us, and he said he'd moved it outside. He's a good husband.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Cats generally don't deal with snakes--they expect their staff (humans) to take care of that.
We had a snake in the kitchen once. My husband woke up late one night to hear something fall in the kitchen. He went out and two of our baskets were on the floor. When he looked where they should have been hanging, there was a snake (according to him it was a boa constrictor, but in actuality it was a 2' garden snake). He grabbed a pair of tongs, got hold of the snake and tossed it out into the yard. When he came to bed I asked him what that noise had been, and he said it was a snake knocking down some of our baskets. I asked if the snake was still with us, and he said he'd moved it outside. He's a good husband.

He is indeed a very good husband Marlingardener!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Yeah, I guess I'd have ignored my survival instinct as well and instead stayed there watching over the snake, since thinking of it hiding somewhere like for example under the covers would have for sure given me a heart attack! I'm glad things turn out well for you guys, if I ever encounter a snake in y oven I'll make sure not to run, because it can hide somewhere else and give us a heart attack. You made a hell of a good point, lol.
I can't imagine what I'd do. It makes me shudder to think of it. It's probably unlikely in this part of Australia I tell myself!:confused: We do have pretty big spiders in the house though, usually when it's about to rain. I used to be terrified but not now. I realize they won't hurt you, they just look a bit creepy. I think I've actually developed a healthy respect for them. I do prefer them to stay up high though and I do tell them. Their webs really are fascinating, quite magnificent really. Well that's my excuse for cob webs in the house.:confused: Maybe if I was exposed to snakes I'd "develop a healthy respect" for them rather than freak out!:LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Elvishish, snakes are more helpful than scary. We try to keep them out of the house and away from the chicken coop, but otherwise, they have the run (slither) of the property. I must admit I admire anything that is completely muscle, concentrates on one thing (food), and is so darned pretty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We don't really have many snakes here, and only one venomous one in the state and it's so rare that some people wonder if it's now extinct. (Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake.)
Just garter snakes mostly, and I'd love to see more of them around my yard! I occasionally see one in the side yard.
At a previous house I went to empty the kitchen trash bin under the sink and there was a garter snake curled up under the bin. Poor thing was quite dehydrated and had what looked like superficial scratches on it so I think the cat brought it in, and it got away. I took him out to the field out back and hoped he'd be OK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This happened yesterday. I was gonna make cookies. I opened the oven to get the tray and preheat it and a snake falls from somewhere into the oven! I am not used to seeing snakes because we don't have them in Barcelona. I know we have rattle snakes, copper heads, and other venomous snakes here in Texas, but I had never had to deal with one before. I closed the oven door and he started going from the oven into the drawer under the oven, and sticking it's head out...I was freaking out.
I wasn't sure if it was venomous or not because I didn't have much time to look at it. From the colors (ivory and orange (or light brown) I didn't think it was venomous, but I don't know if it was an albino, venomous snake either!
I called Emmett (hubby) at work (I never do, but I thought this was sort of an emergency) and I got his voice mail. I called his cousin because he works for animal control, and I got his voice mail. I called the landlord (whose business is behind our backyard) and guess what...I got his voice mail. So I called my parents in Barcelona (yeah, as if they could come help me hahaha). The cell phone would not connect the call.
I finally got Emmett on the phone and he was giving me some advice like stomp on it (yeah right, like I'm gonna get that close to a snake hahaha!) and his cousin called me and told me he was too far to come help me and suggested I called the deputy, but the landlord finally answered the phone and came to the house (he's a very nice landlord) and grabbed it for me. It wasn't venomous so he released him back to the wild. I'm glad I didn't decide to shoot the dang thing.

Here's the snake. You'll notice my landlord does not have a Texan accent at all. He's British :)
OH! I remember the first time I ever saw a snake was in the garden and it was a garter snake. I was like 5 and it scared the bejesus out of me! It was behind a flower and was like ZOOM! I'm not a fan of snakes, but I'm not terrified of them. I'll hold or touch smaller non poisonous ones, but I would hit the ceiling if a snake fell out of my over. I probably would have shot it. .380 shells all over my kitchen. My boyfriend would be so mad when he got home. That's a good hypothetical question to pose to him later! ha!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Where I live, we don't have time to figure out if a snake is venomous or not. We simply kill it or run! I would have done the later in your shoes R.R. Run like the devil was on my heals:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Funny this topic is up again--last night we were turning off the lights and getting ready to go to bed, and there was a snake (small rat snake) in front of the pantry. My husband grabbed the "snake tongs" we keep on the patio while I herded snakelet away from the pantry (if he got in there we'd never find him). Husband grabbed snake with tongs, I opened patio door, and the snake learned to fly! We are getting pretty good at snake flinging.
Bless 'em, they are just looking for cooler and damper, but my kitchen is NOT the place for them to spend the hot weather!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm speechless and until now I'm wondering how that snake got inside that oven. If that would happen to me, maybe I would faint or the least I would do is scream until my lungs explode, hahahaaa. I really cannot imagine a snake in the oven, not even a mouse. You probably need to check the entire house for there may be some moose and a bison hiding somewhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Funny this topic is up again--last night we were turning off the lights and getting ready to go to bed, and there was a snake (small rat snake) in front of the pantry. My husband grabbed the "snake tongs" we keep on the patio while I herded snakelet away from the pantry (if he got in there we'd never find him). Husband grabbed snake with tongs, I opened patio door, and the snake learned to fly! We are getting pretty good at snake flinging.
Bless 'em, they are just looking for cooler and damper, but my kitchen is NOT the place for them to spend the hot weather!
My kitchen ain't, either, I'm with you! :D Are the "snake tongs" very long?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The snake tongs are barbecue tongs--or used to be until the first snake showed up where he shouldn't be. Snakes coil before they strike, so if the snake starts to coil, I leave it alone and sneak up on it later with the tongs (and a hoe, just in case).

Ask a Question