Small shrub or dwarf tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve got this tree/shrub in my garden, it’s getting disease on its leaves so I’m trying to identify it in order to take care of it. I am also hoping to relocate it so any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3462.jpeg
    IMG_3462.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3463.jpeg
    IMG_3463.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is than an azalea bush? If so, the pH of the soil is probably too high causing nutrient deficiency.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used an app which says it might be a Japanese pieri (flame of the forest). Not sure on it though, There are healthy leaves and sickly ones, sites I have searched are a bit vague on what I can do with it, if it is pieri.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

It too is an acid soil loving plant. I would check the pH of the soil first and go from there. If you water with city or well water the pH of the soil tends to rise, unless you have sulfur water but you would know that from the smell.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

It too is an acid soil loving plant. I would check the pH of the soil first and go from there. If you water with city or well water the pH of the soil tends to rise, unless you have sulfur water but you would know that from the smell.
Bang on as usual Yums too often at the nursery unsuspecting customers would be drawn to the ''acid house'' as we used to call it, and so many times we had to dissuade them from using these plants in our very chalky area. There are so many shrubs that enjoy the chalky soil to choose from. I really think that in a chalky area like ours the garden centres should have clear warnings to check their soil before purchases. So much money is wasted.
@Carrot82 In future, if you would like to grow any acid loving plants, my advice to you would be to invest in some nice big pots to put on a paved area and fill them up with washed horticultural grit and ericaceous compost. Rhododendrons, Azaleas, Pieris, Heathers, Blueberries, Enkianthus, Kalmia, Gaultheria, Gardenia, Leucothoe, Camellias, are just some lime haters, and if you plant Hydrangea, and the flowers start off blue, they will turn pink as sure as eggs are eggs !
PS... if there is still some life in the Pieris, you may be lucky to save it if you dig it up, wash all the roots off (preferably with rain water) and replant in a pot with the right compost.
Rain water should be used whenever watering these plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I thought it might be hard to save it. It was planted before I moved in my house. I will have a go at trying to pot it and take cuttings from the healthier part. Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I thought it might be hard to save it. It was planted before I moved in my house. I will have a go at trying to pot it and take cuttings from the healthier part. Thanks for the replies.
It's a pleasure, and there are loads of lovely shrubs to plant that will love your soil.

Ask a Question