Small Rose Buds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
My mom and I bought a rose plant at the Sunday market here in our country. It was really pretty with its pink flowers then. However, after the flowers wilted, we are now having a hard time making it bloom again. It has buds now, but they are too small. It's such a pity because I love roses. What can we do to make our roses healthier? Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My mom and I bought a rose plant at the Sunday market here in our country. It was really pretty with its pink flowers then. However, after the flowers wilted, we are now having a hard time making it bloom again. It has buds now, but they are too small. It's such a pity because I love roses. What can we do to make our roses healthier? Thank you in advance!
Remove all of the dead blooms. Do not let it get dry but do not keep it wet. Keep it moist and give it some good manure based fertilizer

Reaction score

Apart from making sure that your rose is kept adequately moist and being sure to remove the spent blooms as soon as they start to fade - there are several other reasons why roses sometimes produce buds that are either fewer in number or much smaller than they should be - such as when a rose has recently been transplanted and is in the process of settling in and putting its roots down.

Extended periods of extremely hot weather can also cause roses to have smaller than average buds - as not all varieties cope with extreme temperatures and therefore conserve energy by putting out smaller blooms or it could be - that as not all rose varieties flower throughout the year - you may have one of those varieties that only flowers at a specific time of year - which as they come to the end of their flowering time tend to put out much smaller blooms.

If its none of those - then the only other reason why a rose may put our smaller blooms is due to lack of a potassium rich fertilizer - which is generally best applied at the first signs of growth in the spring and then periodically throughout the growing season :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Apart from making sure that your rose is kept adequately moist and being sure to remove the spent blooms as soon as they start to fade - there are several other reasons why roses sometimes produce buds that are either fewer in number or much smaller than they should be - such as when a rose has recently been transplanted and is in the process of settling in and putting its roots down.

Extended periods of extremely hot weather can also cause roses to have smaller than average buds - as not all varieties cope with extreme temperatures and therefore conserve energy by putting out smaller blooms or it could be - that as not all rose varieties flower throughout the year - you may have one of those varieties that only flowers at a specific time of year - which as they come to the end of their flowering time tend to put out much smaller blooms.

If its none of those - then the only other reason why a rose may put our smaller blooms is due to lack of a potassium rich fertilizer - which is generally best applied at the first signs of growth in the spring and then periodically throughout the growing season :)

Thank you for your suggestions. My mom has been giving our rose enough fertilizer, though I don't know if the schedule is correct. I will ask her later, so I can consult you guys here again.

As for letting the blooms wilt, yes, we are guilty of that. We didn't know that that is a contributing factor to the stunted growth of our plant. We didn't want to remove them because we thought that doing so would harm the plant more. Also, we don't like picking flowers even if they are already wilted or faded.

Thank you again for the replies! :)

Ask a Question