Small hedge ideas?

Reaction score
I want to put in a hedge not more than 2' tall...something other than boxwood. I live in a mild area of SoCal. The hedge would be in full sun, planted in clay, and must not be poisonous. Ideas?

Reaction score
Azaleas are a popular small bush for hedges. I do not know if they like full sun, but they are fine in clay. We had them in partial shade and they did very well. When they get big enough you can trim them to have a nice square shape if you wish.

Reaction score
I want to put in a hedge not more than 2' tall...something other than boxwood. I live in a mild area of SoCal. The hedge would be in full sun, planted in clay, and must not be poisonous. Ideas?

Not an easy task - mainly because - although there is plenty of choice when it comes to low growing plants that would be suitable for hedging - there are very few varieties that are non toxic - but that said - there are a few that immediately spring to mind that you might like to consider - all of which are evergreen and are well suited to both your growing conditions and your climate - such as - Camilias of which there are many low growing compact varieties that make excellent hedges or Elaeagnus with beautiful silvery colored variegated foliage - but better still Ceanothus of which there are literally hundreds of different varieties ranging from beautifully variegated foliage to glossy deep green and has lovely flowers too.

Oh and I would just add that as Azaleas are known to be toxic and don't fair too well in sun - they might not be such a good choice - particularly as they are also deciduous.

Reaction score
I know camellias do have a sun variety. I think it's called sasanqua? And they are beautiful. I'm not familiar with Elaeagnus, but I'll check it out. Thanks so much for your input.

Reaction score
There are small and compact growing varieties of arborvitae that might suit your needs. There's Anna's Magic Ball, and slightly larger Mr. Bowling Ball.

There are lots of different kinds of viburnum that might do well too.

Junipers also, as there are compact types. Both arborvitae and juniper aren't necessarily poisonous, but they are unpalatable to critters with their oils and such. They also stay green year round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Have you thought about Choisya Ternata? It likes the sun and can be grown in clay soil. I've never seen it in person, but I heard that its flowers and leaves smell like oranges:)
Here is a picture of it:

Choisya%20ternata.JPG

Ask a Question