Slugs and snails!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
thx for replying, can we say generally that most of small snails aren't harmfull, just to make things simple
No. Size makes no difference. The little ones only take smaller bites. They will all grow up. I have seen snails like yours 2 inches long.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
The best thing for slugs is a product called Nemotodes, this are micro-organisms that live naturally in the soil, they are a parasite to slugs and eat them from within, you simply water it in, it has to be repeated, and is fairly expensive, but it works, best left for strawberry patches.

Cheaper alternatives are crushed egg shells, and coffee grindings, get to know a busy a coffee shop, they will ave more than enough, and probably wont charge you for them, another alternative is crushed walnut shells, search the net for those, anything dry and sharp will stop slugs and snails, a circle of grit, or sand will do the same job.

Oh and just to make you realise how large the battle is, a sq yard of soil can contain anything up to 10,000 slug spores !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The best thing for slugs is a product called Nemotodes, this are micro-organisms that live naturally in the soil, they are a parasite to slugs and eat them from within, you simply water it in, it has to be repeated, and is fairly expensive, but it works, best left for strawberry patches.

Cheaper alternatives are crushed egg shells, and coffee grindings, get to know a busy a coffee shop, they will ave more than enough, and probably wont charge you for them, another alternative is crushed walnut shells, search the net for those, anything dry and sharp will stop slugs and snails, a circle of grit, or sand will do the same job.

Oh and just to make you realise how large the battle is, a sq yard of soil can contain anything up to 10,000 slug spores !
Yes, beneficial nematodes are an excellent means of controlling all insects and pests that live and reproduce in the soil. I didnt know that they were available in the UK

Reaction score
Yes, beneficial nematodes are an excellent means of controlling all insects and pests that live and reproduce in the soil. I didnt know that they were available in the UK

They've only been available for a few years, and are quite expensive, at the moment I only use them on my strawberry patch, they seem to work

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They've only been available for a few years, and are quite expensive, at the moment I only use them on my strawberry patch, they seem to work
Here they cost about $10 per million which is the smallest number you can get, but a million goes a long way

Reaction score
Here they cost about $10 per million which is the smallest number you can get, but a million goes a long way

I had to read that twice, the first time I read it quickly and nearly fell off my chair !
Ours are measured by the area a pack will treat, the smallest is 40sq metres and costs about £9 $7-8

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had to read that twice, the first time I read it quickly and nearly fell off my chair !
Ours are measured by the area a pack will treat, the smallest is 40sq metres and costs about £9 $7-8
You all are getting robbed. Our nematodes come on a little sponge. The nematodes look like a smear of some kind light brown goop. A million of them will adequately cover 1/4 acre . Isn't 40 sq meters about 400 sq feet. 1/4 acre is about 11000sq feet.
www.hydro-gardens.com

Reaction score
You all are getting robbed. Our nematodes come on a little sponge. The nematodes look like a smear of some kind light brown goop. A million of them will adequately cover 1/4 acre . Isn't 40 sq meters about 400 sq feet. 1/4 acre is about 11000sq feet.
www.hydro-gardens.com

us getting robbed, nothing unusual there, look at our petrol prices compared to yours !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
us getting robbed, nothing unusual there, look at our petrol prices compared to yours !
Yeah, but aren't you required to take required paid vacations and get all of that free health care that we are about to be force fed. Personally, I think we are all getting robbed

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Custard is only 4c a packet over here ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah, but aren't you required to take required paid vacations and get all of that free health care that we are about to be force fed. Personally, I think we are all getting robbed
I'm shocked. Over here it is $1.19 plus you have to add the milk and milk is about $5.00 a gallon

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
And that is something else. I can't buy or even steal rhubarb here. You guys don't know how lucky you are
But some crowns online from a UK supplier and get them sent over, or are your import laws still strict on plants

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But some crowns online from a UK supplier and get them sent over, or are your import laws still strict on plants
The grocery stores here don't sell it and Texas is way to hot to grow it. I think the only plant restrictions in Texas are on citrus

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Since we have been talking about snails and slugs, I want to watch the movie Turbo again. Has anyone else seen it? I watched it with my son and thought it was a cute movie.

Ask a Question