Do slugs feel pain?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello everyone,
as many others I have lot of slugs in my garden, and of course I want to get rid of them, but I do not want to use any chemical solutions for this, and I also have read here that beer traps may attract other snails so that was not an option either.

So I decided to take matters into my own hand and go on killing sprees in the evening, with a flashlight and wearing wellies that I bought just to be able to step on them without worrying about having to clean my shoes.

That worked out pretty well, and as far as I saw it, the slugs die very quickly this way, but not too long ago I have heard that slugs are in great pain when being stepped on, and sometimes even live on between the grooves of a thick profiled boot, which mine also have.

I am very confused because I don’t want them to be hurt for long and I always thought they did not really feel that much.

Help would be appreciated :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I am sure they feel pain. all living creatures feel pain. Once out fishing, and using live worms as bait---had not before. so I am sticking the hook through them. you could see it caused pain. said never again using that bait. We are fortunate here not to have the slugs I hear about that the UK has. Of what I have, hardly any to see are due to the toad who eat them. If you want a more humanitarian way of killing them. the saucer of cheap beer placed around, they crawl into it and drown, then you toss them. I have done that and found it quite easy.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty sure they feel pain. Even vegetables feel pain when you pinch them. A natural reaction. I myself really hate killing slugs as they would split into two and now TWO BITS would be moving. Most heinous act on my self and most horrific acts on the slugs' last defiance. I always thought they might split into two, or three, just like leeches .. another one of my pet hates.

Give them beer! Get the cheapest and they would be inebriated and think you are kind and generous! It's like some inmates have KFC / big Mac before they are executed. The good thing is that slugs wouldn't know they are dying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Poppycock and nonsense!

Just kill them quickly with whatever method you have on hand. Do you care if a mosquito feels pain when you slap her during her attempting to suck your blood!

The most humane way is the best way no matter what you are exterminating but I cannot believe that anyone would stress over how a slug "feels". Gardening takes fortitude. Of both body and mind!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Whatever the chosen method is you decide on as long as it's very quick and they are not subjected to suffering a long drawn out and agonising death, it's the best way to go.(y)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Everything in the animal kingdom feels pain. If you feel you have to kill, do it as quickly as possible. I don't wish suffering on anyone or anything.

Do you care if a mosquito feels pain when you slap her during her attempting to suck your blood!

I do.

They still have to die, of course, but I make sure they die as quickly as possible and don't suffer. As annoying as mosquitoes are, I recognize that their intent isn't to be annoying. It's just the way their specie works to reproduce. They have no choice.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking mosquitoes provide food to what? I have to say I hate mosquitoes just as I hate slugs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
If Slugs Are Causing Pain to your Plants & Your Worried For the Plants there are Three Paths of Action....

1 You Can change the plants you grow Slugs, as they Don't like all plants There are thousands of Plants they Hate to eat;)

2 You can Protect the plants the best you can. There are many tricks and methods like sand or & Egg shell around you plants. Copper tap around Pots

3 Kill them. Look for there Hiding Places Which is often round the Rim of a pot, Base or plant stems or under pot, Beer works By getting them Drunk then They Drown a Happy Death if ever there was one. Don't Poison them as that just Getting in to the Food Chain & and kill Hedge hogs or Birds that eat them

more info on this thread bellow too (y) Good luck

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/slugs.60/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Poppycock and nonsense!
The most humane way is the best way no matter what you are exterminating but I cannot believe that anyone would stress over how a slug "feels". Gardening takes fortitude. Of both body and mind!

As I said - in bold above.

@JBtheExplorer still trying to figure out how you think I could make a mosquito suffer a long and death - when I first read that I :confused: then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: thanks for the laugh!:)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As I said - in bold above.

@JBtheExplorer still trying to figure out how you think I could make a mosquito suffer a long and death - when I first read that I :confused: then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: thanks for the laugh!:)

I don't think that.

The first part of my comment was to OP. The second part was in response to you, just stating that I do care that they feel pain and I kill them as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Okay thank you to you all, but my question was if my wellie stomp-method is causing a fast death to them? Still don't know about that ^^

Ask a Question