Chemicals of dubious origin against slugs

ManoaRain

It's too dang hot
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So long story short I found a box of Chevron chemical slug bait/poison from 1985 in my grandmothers cleaning closet and I have a snail problem in my vegetable garden. She say's it's just dandy but she's also said twinkies are a healthy snack for kids and a little vog never hurts anyone. So is this, you know, safe? (because seriously I don't want my future children to have a third eye because I didn't do my research.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I wouldn't use it, but curious what's the ingredients?

When I first started gardening I had an invasion of slugs/snails, they were all over the place, even crawling up my house. Since going native and creating natural habitat in my entire yard the snail/slug population has gone way down. I credit it to inviting all kinds of organisms in my yard, some of which ate the snails. One animal which I have tons of and know they eat slugs/snails are moles. And tons of tunnels...good aeration of the soil(y)

BTW, I found a baby snail yesterday on my tomato plant. I didn't kill it, I picked it off and threw him into the mulch. Snails have a place in nature, but sometimes you just have to point them in the right direction:LOL::ROFLMAO::D

ManoaRain

It's too dang hot
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It say's the active ingredients are Carbaryl (1-Naphthyl N-methycaramate) and Metaldehyde. The box also cautions against "heavy watering" and I'm not quite sure what that'll do to the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It say's the active ingredients are Carbaryl (1-Naphthyl N-methycaramate) and Metaldehyde. The box also cautions against "heavy watering" and I'm not quite sure what that'll do to the soil.
These chemicals are basically Sevin mixed with the slug killer Metaldehyde. Metaldehyde is still sold but is noted to leach into ground water. Sevin is still widely used and is one of the safer chemical pesticides. I do not use nor approve of chemical pesticides when there are other organic products that will do the same job better. In your case it is called Sluggo Plus. Being as your sample of the chemicals is 25 years old I doubt it is still viable.

Ask a Question