Do slugs feel pain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If you are still worried about killing them with your wellies then try using something heavier and smooth. I have a half house brick that I keep in the wheelbarrow and I use it to swiftly squash the slug completely in less than a second. I'm sure you can find something similar to use.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
My understanding is that you need both a brain and a nervous system to feel pain. This makes sense when you think about pain, because the brain and nervous system work together to “talk” to one another about whatever is going on in the body, so if there is no brain to tell the nervous system about the pain, it may not feel “pain” as we know it.

Personally I try to repel pests rather than going for the jugular straight away....

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
According to scientists, even leaves feel pain. Of course, all things respond to their environmental condition and feel stressed. In between the slugs' pain and my pain when my flowers or leaves get chewed, tainted, damaged, I know which one I prefer!

A virus also feels pain or responds to adverse factors...

Ask a Question