Signs of Spring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's true, the Robin in North America is far different than the Robin of the UK. And it is in the family of thrushes. Here's a pic in this link

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Australia has thirteen species of birds they call 'Robins' of one sort or another, such as the 'Pink robin' or the 'Scarlet breasted robin', and South Africa has the 'White starred robin'. I would be willing to bet there is a bird called a robin in just about every country of the old British Empire and colonies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like my patch out front by the pavement, except there is rain, not sunshine. I have blue white and yellow, plus a couple of hyacinths under the Weigela.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love how the whole world has 'Robins'. Englishmen went there , saw a bird with some red on and called it a 'Robin'. I believe the American one is a sort of thrush, the original English one is an insectivore mainly, and very happy around people. You never see them in flocks, they are solitary apart from when they have a mate with them and will instantly attack any intruder. The one in my garden turns up very quickly if I am doing anything like raking leaves or digging and will sit on something watching, then fly down when he sees something move, I have even had him sit on my boot for an instant to get a closer view. I call him 'My' robin, but wonder if he thinks of me as 'his' human.

Ask a Question