Signs of Spring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our mimosa in its big tub on the patrio never disappoints, no matter how hard a winter we have.
It's come a long way in the last ten years, from this. Centre foreground supported by a cane.

P1030577.JPG

To this today.

P1040835.JPG

The blossoms completely undamaged by the freezing temperatures just over a week ago before they came out.

P1040832.JPG

Some mini daffodils trying to come out

P1040836.JPG

The snowdrops I moved from under the azaleas in the front garden to here at the side of the rockery.

P1040837.JPG

We've three quinces, white, pink and red along the side fence.

This white one is always the first to flower, it too is making the effort.

P1040833.JPG

P1040834.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our mimosa in its big tub on the patrio never disappoints, no matter how hard a winter we have.
It's come a long way in the last ten years, from this. Centre foreground supported by a cane.

View attachment 76111

To this today.

View attachment 76112

The blossoms completely undamaged by the freezing temperatures just over a week ago before they came out.

View attachment 76113

Some mini daffodils trying to come out

View attachment 76114

The snowdrops I moved from under the azaleas in the front garden to here at the side of the rockery.

View attachment 76117

We've three quinces, white, pink and red along the side fence.

This white one is always the first to flower, it too is making the effort.

View attachment 76121

View attachment 76120
You must be so pleased with your work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
You must be so pleased with your work!

Well I was.....But the sub-zero temperatures a few weeks ago, killed the mimosa.
We've ordered another, it should be here later in the month, or early February.

With some lot of plant's, you have to wait until the Spring before you know if they've survived.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I was.....But the sub-zero temperatures a few weeks ago, killed the mimosa.
We've ordered another, it should be here later in the month, or early February.

With some lot of plant's, you have to wait until the Spring before you know if they've survived.
It's tough with the climate throwing spanners in the works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
On Monday (1/30/23) I saw a Robin in my yard and the next day I saw a whole flock of them. That means spring is here in my part of the world and it feels like it.

I don't ever remember having a freeze once I see my first Robin around here. I know this sounds like a myth, but it's worked for years around here. What's funny is I never see them headed south as it's getting colder; I only see them heading north as the winter is coming to an end.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
On Monday (1/30/23) I saw a Robin in my yard and the next day I saw a whole flock of them. That means spring is here in my part of the world and it feels like it.

I don't ever remember having a freeze once I see my first Robin around here. I know this sounds like a myth, but it's worked for years around here. What's funny is I never see them headed south as it's getting colder; I only see them heading north as the winter is coming to an end.

Here in North-West England, our pair of robins are with us all year round. They are the bravest of the birds that are regularly seen in our garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Robin" is a name that is given to a bird with a red breast wherever Englishmen have been. I believe American robins are related to the thrushes, and nothing much like ours apart from the red and being birds. English male robins are fiercely territorial, I have seen footage of one tearing apart a small loudspeaker that was broadcasting robin song, you will see them as pairs, never as a flock They are mainly insectivores, and very friendly to humans, they will even imitate human speech, and there is a story of a diplomat whose garden robin would sit on his shoulder. He got sent abroad to work for eighteen months and the day he returned he went out in the garden and instantly there was the robin, on his shoulder, it remembered him.
Like Sean says most are with us year round, but there are a few in the south of England that winter in France and return to their same territory. There are robins right across Europe, but it seems it is only the English ones who are so friendly to humans, Sensible, don't trust foreigners :) Mine will come when I am turning the soil over and sit in the tree next to me watching, then fly down to within inches of my fork or foot when he sees a tasty morsel.

Ask a Question