Curry leaves & Cavendish banana showing signs of stress

Reaction score
Country
United States
Attached below are pictures of 2 plants.
1. Super dwarf Cavendish banana.
2. Curry leaf plant.

Lately, I have been noticing that my curry plant is not growing as much I expect it to. On close notice I saw signs of infestation on its leafs. Not sure what it is but certainly looks like black spot.

The banana plant is growing fine in terms of growth. But I'm seeing the black marks on its leaves too now. In fact one of the new leaves coming also has the black mark which kind of worries me.

Looking for some advice on this forum.
IMG_3899.jpeg
IMG_3900.jpeg
IMG_3896.jpeg
IMG_3898.jpeg
IMG_3897.jpeg
IMG_3895.jpeg
IMG_3899.jpeg
IMG_3899.jpeg

IMG_3899.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have no knowledge about the banana but I do have some thoughts on the curry plant. It really looks like some type of insect infestation, probably either thrips or mites. The reason I think this is because of a number of issues. One is the black substance on some of the leaves which I believe to be insect excrement or possibly honeydew. Second is the lack of chlorophyll and the whitening of the leaves which I believe is caused by sucking insects. And third, the damage to the epidermis of some of the leaves, caused by these same sucking insects.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the response.

I sprayed the plants with a little higher concentration of neem oil over night last night to see if that'll help deter some of these conditions.

Assuming this is what you believe it is - what do you suggest as the solution?

Also, looking for any other advice on this topic. Someone who has experience with specifically these plants?

I have no knowledge about the banana but I do have some thoughts on the curry plant. It really looks like some type of insect infestation, probably either thrips or mites. The reason I think this is because of a number of issues. One is the black substance on some of the leaves which I believe to be insect excrement or possibly honeydew. Second is the lack of chlorophyll and the whitening of the leaves which I believe is caused by sucking insects. And third, the damage to the epidermis of some of the leaves, caused by these same sucking insects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the response.

I sprayed the plants with a little higher concentration of neem oil over night last night to see if that'll help deter some of these conditions.

Assuming this is what you believe it is - what do you suggest as the solution?

Also, looking for any other advice on this topic. Someone who has experience with specifically these plants?
You did exactly what I would have done as Neem Oil is an insecticide, fungicide and miticide and is very reliable as an insect killer. It does a good, not great, job on fungal issues and if used regularly a great job on mites.

Ask a Question