Persimmon tree leaves with curls

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dear Friends:

Our persimmon tree leaves turning brown on top.
What is this disease and how to protect our tree from further damage ?

Thanks for your help

Thanks
Senthil

Attachments

• Persimmon1.jpg
    Persimmon1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 523
  • Persimmon2.jpg
    Persimmon2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 799
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your tree has some type of fungal disease but on persimmon, these diseases are not usually fatal. This is a deciduous tree and fairly soon its leaves will fall. Remove and destroy all leaves and mulch. Replace mulch. Before tree leafs out in the spring spray with an anti-fungal such as Neem Oil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looking again at your tree I notice many leaves are not a deep glossy green and have a yellowish tinge to many. BEFORE the tree buds out, in late winter or very early spring, you should fertilize with a LOW nitrogen fertilizer, preferably an organic fertilizer such as 2-3-3 @ 1 lb per inch of trunk caliper out to the drip line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think my persimmon likes the fertilizer I put on the lawn late spring and early summer where it grows. I looked at it today, and the leaves are distinctly green like the darker colors of those in your pictures. I fertilize roots in the wet early months of winter, which starts mid November here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think my persimmon likes the fertilizer I put on the lawn late spring and early summer where it grows. I looked at it today, and the leaves are distinctly green like the darker colors of those in your pictures. I fertilize roots in the wet early months of winter, which starts mid November here.
Persimmons don't like much nitrogen, The amount of nitrogen required for other fruit trees is too much for persimmons. They will fail to fruit. Only use low amounts of nitrogen if chlorosis starts to appear. Rock phosphate is what is normally used to fertilize them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That is what I use in the winter, a low N mix. In the grass growing season I am not fertilizing the tree directly, rather just running a spreader around the yard. I imagine it does not get much.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Thank you sir. Have a nice weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a new persimmon tree coming soon. It's 4ft; would adding rock phosphate be advisable now, wait till the tree is bigger/older, or add to the soil in the spring?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a new persimmon tree coming soon. It's 4ft; would adding rock phosphate be advisable now, wait till the tree is bigger/older, or add to the soil in the spring?
When you plant the tree put the RP into the hole. Also, dust the roots.

Ask a Question