Sick curry tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Lots of dead/dark leaves, and falling. It's been happening for a couple of months now. As you can see from the images below, the tree is in overall poor shape. Not too many branches/leaves left, although the bottom part of it has always been barren like this.

I live in Michigan. The tree sits outside during warmer months, and inside during the rest of the year. I usually water it once a week (about 1 qt) with 7 drops of Schultz All Purpose 10-15-10 Plant Food Plus, and I check moisture level with a moisture sensor so that it doesn't get too dry.

If the images are not detailed enough, I can take more closeups.

Any ideas what this tree needs to be healthy?

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/ZEgVQvs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tQs1gSs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4jMB0mf.jpg

On a positive note, there are some off-springs coming up that I can probably replant and start from scratch, but I'd prefer not to repeat the same mistakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now this is just a guess but here goes. I believe the problem might be a lack of water. This problem, what ever it is, seems to affect mostly the new growth and lack of water could cause this. How long has the tree been in its pot? Could it be root bound and thus not able to uptake sufficient moisture in its root zone. Using a moisture meter is OK but if the probe isn't placed in the right spot it really is a waste of time. I would suggest you take the plant out of the pot and look at the roots and make sure everything is OK and if it is root bound put it in a bigger pot. When you water any plant saturate it. You cannot over water a plant but you can kill a plant by watering too often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Good advice from Chuck. I've never had a curry plant myself, but I've read that they prefer humid conditions - you could try misting the leaves regularly and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love the healthy looking leaves and the overall look of the plant says it's still in good shape. something is wrong though and I like the water ideas mentioned before but are they getting sunlight or locked away in a dark corner or room. I know they are inside but sometimes they need to be near a window to continue photosynthesis or they will shed leaves that way til they die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for the comments so far. The plant is sitting next to a window, so it is getting some light.

I just realized I was actually watering it only 0.5 qt per week. I will start by doubling that amount.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the comments so far. The plant is sitting next to a window, so it is getting some light.

I just realized I was actually watering it only 0.5 qt per week. I will start by doubling that amount.
Completely saturate the soil in the container. Put the container in the bathtub or sink with about 6 or 8 inches of water in it and let the water wick up through the soil. This is the only sure way to evenly water the plant and make sure all of the roots are watered. Just dumping a quart or two of water on top will not work. Most of that water will just gravitate to the sides of the pot and drain out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm also in Michigan and have several Indian clients with curry trees...as I understand that plant needs lots and lots of light and a somewhat humid environment to thrive. Both of which can be tricky in a Michigan winter!

I think the others have made good points regarding the moisture and light requirements and I'd follow Chuck's advice too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really hope you will post some good pictures once the plants start looking up. I don't think they will die as they have lots of health in them. Just a few leaves falling is only giving you signs. So as soon as things turn around I hope to see some nice healthy plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
OP here. Digging up this old topic because I am still struggling with this curry tree. Whenever it is outside on my balcony, from about May to September, it grows very well, but whenever I bring it back indoors for winter, it really suffers. It loses most of its leaves and when it grows new branches and leaves, most of the new leaves turn black and die even before they had a chance to reach full size.

I water it in the same fashion throughout the year: Once a week I place the whole pot in the sink, and fill the sink so that the pot is about 80% submerged, and keep it there for about 10 minutes. About 8 inches of the pot is under water.

Do you guys still think it's a watering issue? Do I need to water it more often than once a week? I thought I read somewhere that curry tree does not like constant moisture so I'm trying to give it some time between waterings to allow the soil to dry a bit, but maybe that is wrong?

Thanks for the advice.

38591372180_14226dfff1_o.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OP here. Digging up this old topic because I am still struggling with this curry tree. Whenever it is outside on my balcony, from about May to September, it grows very well, but whenever I bring it back indoors for winter, it really suffers. It loses most of its leaves and when it grows new branches and leaves, most of the new leaves turn black and die even before they had a chance to reach full size.

I water it in the same fashion throughout the year: Once a week I place the whole pot in the sink, and fill the sink so that the pot is about 80% submerged, and keep it there for about 10 minutes. About 8 inches of the pot is under water.

Do you guys still think it's a watering issue? Do I need to water it more often than once a week? I thought I read somewhere that curry tree does not like constant moisture so I'm trying to give it some time between waterings to allow the soil to dry a bit, but maybe that is wrong?

Thanks for the advice.

38591372180_14226dfff1_o.jpg
It is and it isn't a watering issue. During the winter months a plant uses less water because of less photosynthesis. What the main problem is, if it does fine in the summer, is a lack of sufficient sunlight during the winter months.

Ask a Question