Is curry leaf a herb?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have curry leaves saplings spread all over our garden with two full grown trees too. We use them in various forms including making a paste adding other herbs and some other ingredients and have it in our dail meal.
Lots is said about the goodness of curry leaves but I am not sure if it comes under the 'herbs' category.

currypatta1.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If it's used for flavouring then I guess it is a herb :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If it's used for flavouring then I guess it is a herb :)

Well, salt and soy sauce are used for flavouring, but they are not herbs. :)
Curry is not an herb, it's a tree, in the strictly botanical definition. But broadly speaking, since it's a plant used for flavor and seasoning, it is indeed a herb.

Obviously curry doesn't grow here in Michigan but I have an Indian client who has a sun room and grows a couple of curry trees there in big containers, strictly for cooking. I sometimes cook Indian meals and a local Indian grocery store sells fresh leaves, about a dollar for one meal's worth. I thought about growing one, but they apparently need tons of light. @grouie, I never knew they could get so large! Pretty, too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Curry is not an herb, it's a tree, in the strictly botanical definition. But broadly speaking, since it's a plant used for flavor and seasoning, it is indeed a herb.

Obviously curry doesn't grow here in Michigan but I have an Indian client who has a sun room and grows a couple of curry trees there in big containers, strictly for cooking. I sometimes cook Indian meals and a local Indian grocery store sells fresh leaves, about a dollar for one meal's worth. I thought about growing one, but they apparently need tons of light. @grouie, I never knew they could get so large! Pretty, too.
I could say I am cursed with a bumper of everything with no takers, in our garden :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I could say I am cursed with a bumper of everything with no takers, in our garden :(

If I were your neighbor, I'd be over at your house to take curry leaves, elephant poop and whatever else, every few days. :D
The only reliably sunny area on my property is my front yard and that is where my vegetables get planted. My favourite neighbors know they can pick a few of whatever they like as they please.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
If I were your neighbor, I'd be over at your house to take curry leaves, elephant poop and whatever else, every few days. :D
The only reliably sunny area on my property is my front yard and that is where my vegetables get planted. My favourite neighbors know they can pick a few of whatever they like as they please.[/QUOTE

That elephant comes around may be once in a year and so sorry cannot help you with the elephant poop :LOL:
Most who surround me are those who think cooking at home is old fashioned. Fast food is what they think is in.
Sad but true. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b

I agree with Beth that, as it's used for flavouring, it's a herb.

My Bay is a tree (25ft high) and that is definitely a herb. (y)

Salt is an ionic compound and soy is an extract. :geek: :D

@grouie The curry leaves that I buy don't look like your plant. Mine look more like Methi (Fenugreek) leaves when they're divided from being three joined leaves. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I agree with Beth that, as it's used for flavouring, it's a herb.

My Bay is a tree (25ft high) and that is definitely a herb. (y)

Salt is an ionic compound and soy is an extract. :geek: :D

@grouie The curry leaves that I buy don't look like your plant. Mine look more like Methi (Fenugreek) leaves when they're divided from being three joined leaves. :)

How can methi look like curry leaves and vice versa :ROFLMAO: Here is a closer view of the curry leaves

c.pattaleaves.jpg

Aesthetic_bunch_of_fenugreek_greens.jpg

Image credit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Aesthetic_bunch_of_fenugreek_greens.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India

It is not just for flavouring but is packed with goodness. Read this

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...fits-of-curry-leaves/articleshow/30904781.cms

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Now that I can see your plant close up, I agree. We tend to get both leaves in dried form and they have been taken off their stems as individual leaves! :(

Fenugreek is bitter. We use very tender seedlings and cook them adding potatoes and other ingredients. Even the roots are used.

Reaction score
As far as I know the curry is a tree, but the leaves are used as herbs. If I were you I'd not think much about it, just enjoyb you got fresh curry leaves growing in your garden (y) Not many people can truthfully say they do as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
As far as I know the curry is a tree, but the leaves are used as herbs. If I were you I'd not think much about it, just enjoyb you got fresh curry leaves growing in your garden (y) Not many people can truthfully say they do as well.
Just trying to learn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
31ºc 66% humudity hot climate rains when it gets more hot
Country
India
Curry leaves is a herb and is grown in india vastly they are added in indian and south indian dishes
It adds to the flavour while making vegetables and helps digestion in india none of the houses are without curry leaves its a very intigral part of our homes

Curry leaves have 2 varities 1 is used in cooking and 2nd variety is a bit different in shape which is bitter in taste bitter variety is used is making oil and used to keep the pest away

Bitter variety is also used to heal stomach problems juice of bitter curry leaves helps in digestion it is said that in summer when u have a juice u keep great health throughout a year bitter variety is said to absorb heat and so when a person is suffering from jaundice people keep these leaves around them to get healed faster bitter leaves keeps the flies away too many flower venders keep bitter leaves around them
Bitter leaves are sued to heal skin problems soak bitter curry leaves in water over or grind and kix with water and have bath with it heals skin

Ask a Question