The First Signs of Spring

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have also felt that the frist signs of spring coming is to see the red breasted robin. Yesterday I saw two red breasted robins in my yard and two red cardinals in the back yard.
It may not feel like spring is coming but the signs that spring is on the way are showing up. Soon we will have green plants popping up from the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The forsythia that grows near my new apartment is about to bloom. Also, I noticed a few snowdrops and tiny crocuses in my parents' garden.
I'm so looking forward to spring!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You guys are lucky. I see no signs of Spring as of yet. I am patiently waiting for any sign. I am tired of the Winter and all of this snow. I am ready to get my garden started for the year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I saw the crocuses blooming a couple of weeks ago, and got so excited. The weather had actually gotten a little warmer (in the high 40 and 50s), and the sun had finally come out. Then, wham - we got hit with several winter storms in a row. We didn't get all the bad weather that the northeast US got, but we did get a little snow, some ice and sleet and this morning, when I got up, the temperature was 5 degrees!! :eek: Yikes. Sitting here looking outside, it's beautiful - the sun is shining and the snow is glistening, but it's freezing outside. I'm beginning to wonder if Spring is ever going to get here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The other morning I saw a couple of deer in the road by my house. I am going to see if I can upload the pictures to my computer so I can share them with you all. I just recently got a new cell phone and I am having problems navigating through it. Technology is a blessing and a curse. The deer roaming were really a sign of looming spring for me and they were a welcomed sight to see.

Reaction score
I have also felt that the frist signs of spring coming is to see the red breasted robin. Yesterday I saw two red breasted robins in my yard and two red cardinals in the back yard.
It may not feel like spring is coming but the signs that spring is on the way are showing up. Soon we will have green plants popping up from the ground.

Over here we also take seeing certain birds as a sign spring is coming, but this year was a bit tricky. Because we saw a robin, then after a few weeks we noticed some trees were already growing new leaves, but a few weeks later it started snowing. So odd! But it's starting to get warm ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've seen a few Robins here as well, but where I live they are not true "Spring Robins" as yet. They are just passing through eating seeds, and berries along the way. Around the end of March to mid April is when they show up to stay for the summer months on Long Island.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
My bonsai area is an enclosed courtyard, so it's warmer than our garden. In addition I cover many of the trees that aren't in my greenhouse with frost cloth, so they never get too cold. As a result some of those trees start budding weeks before spring is really here. It makes me feel so good to see those early signs of spring even if I know that there are still weeks of winter in front of me.

Sadly I'm in the Southern hemisphere, so what I'm seeing right now is the first signs of autumn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have a family of robins that have been living in the same nest for years. The parents showed up a few weeks ago and tonight the first chick tried to fly. Looks like 3 orc4 more in the nest still.

Speaking of chicks, the chickweed is starting to spread. And, it appears that our early planting of seeds is going to pay off. Red radishes are currently the size of marbles, carrot greens a couple inches tall and a bunch of healthy looking turnip greens. First time we ever started anything that early.

Ask a Question