Signs of Spring!

Reaction score
In Miami, FL, I don't really see a difference between winter and spring. It rained on Christmas week, it was hot in January, got cold for a couple of weeks in February and now it's hot again. We don't really get seasons in Miami.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on a week's holiday in Scotland, but when I get back, it's busy, busy, busy!

Soil temp is 10deg. and it's that time of year when many veg need sowing or planting.

Whilst I'm here, I'm designing my "8 foot garden", which is mainly, but not exclusively, for successionally sown crops.

It's just reinforced my realisation of how busy I need to be.

Love this time of year.

Reaction score
The universe offered up another dusting of fresh snow this morning. I think the few things that have poked their heads up have gone back underground in fear. The magnolia trees in the area do look like they are making an effort to get going for spring.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on a week's holiday in Scotland, but when I get back, it's busy, busy, busy!

Soil temp is 10deg. and it's that time of year when many veg need sowing or planting.

Whilst I'm here, I'm designing my "8 foot garden", which is mainly, but not exclusively, for successionally sown crops.

It's just reinforced my realisation of how busy I need to be.

Love this time of year.

Hope you've taken your passport Bees, just in case you stay too long You can only bring back 200 fags from outside the EU :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DSCF0001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These daffodils are beautiful, Zigs! I have a few in my garden too, they're one of my favorite flowers. They just scream "spring!" to me:D When I was a child, my mother had bought me miniature daffodils in a pot. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what happened to them:confused:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Last time i'll see them Claudine, moving out in 2 weeks. There's still a few wild daffodils around this part of England, but they're very much in danger of disappearing. The few colonies that are left get tainted with pollen from cultivated varieties :(

Do you know the poem "The Daffodils" by Wordsworth?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I've been picking Daffs that the rain is knocking down. They smell soooo spring like. I love seeing the clumps of snowdrops posted. My hellebores are blooming around the yard. They have self seeded through the years so they are scattered in all the beds. I also got a new on this last week with an unusual white and green pattern. The pigsqueak is also blooming.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Last time i'll see them Claudine, moving out in 2 weeks. There's still a few wild daffodils around this part of England, but they're very much in danger of disappearing. The few colonies that are left get tainted with pollen from cultivated varieties :(

Do you know the poem "The Daffodils" by Wordsworth?
I've never seen any wild daffodils in my area:( But we can always plant them, right? Will a cultivated variety run wild after some time?
I'm wondering if it's legal to plant something in a public park:cool:
As for the poem, yes, I know it and I love it!:love:
Jewell - your hellebores are beautiful!!

Reaction score
Oh how I love visiting this thread and seeing all the lovely photos of the beautiful spring flowers that I never to get to see where I live - it really brightens my day :)

Zigs - love your daffodils - they look so fresh and alive

Jewell - what an abundance of spring flowers you have and think they are lovely too - but in particular your Hellebores - which as you know are a great favorite of mine.

Reaction score
@katyb In the Netherlands most flowers are already blooming, at least the ones on the floor. And just the other day my boyfriend saw a butterfly. The temperatures are already getting very warm for this time of the year, it seems spring is almost here and it will be a very warm one!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've never seen any wild daffodils in my area:( But we can always plant them, right? Will a cultivated variety run wild after some time?
I'm wondering if it's legal to plant something in a public park:cool:
As for the poem, yes, I know it and I love it!:love:
Jewell - your hellebores are beautiful!!

Cultivated ones won't revert as they divide by the bulbs.

The word Public stands out there, it's a space owned by everyone. If you plant something in a corner of it and tend it, it's possible you'd get away with it.

Slightly different subject, but a local Zoo had a big car park outside. Every day for the last 25 years a guy turned up, in all weathers, to collect parking fees. Had a full uniform, proper ticket machine.

£5 for cars, £10 for coaches.

Didn't turn up for work one morning so the Zoo phoned the council to say that their bloke was missing.

The Council got back to them later saying they had never had a ticket collector based at the Zoo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lol, this made me laugh so hard! I can't believe that he was doing it for 25 years!:LOL: What a very enterprising person:LOL:
I heard that at my university, there was a self-styled professor, who gave a few lectures. It was a random man, he found and empty class and invited a group of students that were waiting in a corridor for somebody else. They were freshmens, so they had no idea that he isn't a real professor, lol:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for an unattended parking lot (y):):D

Cool (y)

I'd do that sort of thing given the chance :D

Ask a Question