Should I prune there tomatoes?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi it's a good idea to pinch out the side shoots (the growth between the main stem and branch) as growing too many branches leads to too many fruit trusses and the plant can't cope. You can actually plant these shoots and they will grow into new plants, so you can save a little money too. You need good air flow around the plants, as If you're plants are too bushy, they get damp and are very prone to blig

It is very helpful to know, geographical location, weather condition, soil type, last frost. We have rain Jan to May 5 months of rain 47 inches of rain last year then very short spring 100°F June to Sept and only 1 small rain per month hot & dry as desert. Tomato plant leaves prevent tomato sun burn or planting under a shade tree is better. I never notice any different if i remove suckers but I think it does prevent plant dehydration in 100° weather. I stake tomatoes to 7ft tall if I cut tops off NO more tomatoes for a whole month it stunts my plants. I start getting tomatoes about July and get about 30 lbs of tomatoes from every plant. Plant new 6" tall plants deep the entire plant grows roots every place soil touches the plant. I can harvest 30 lbs of tomatoes July and first week of Aug. Cutting limbs shorter in HOT weather is helpful but too much pruning stunts plants for a whole month. I use 5-15-15 fertilizer & calcium once a week. Too much nitrogen you get BIG plant and few tomatoes. My plants get early morning sun coolest part of the day then full shade 12 noon to dark.

Last edited:

Ask a Question