Shiro plum vs. other plums

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Shiro Plums 2.jpg

In just two more short months it will be tree-planting time here in the Pacific Northwest, so I've been thinking about my orchard. I have a Shiro plum tree which is about 7 years old. For the last two years it has borne huge crops, about 500 pounds of fruit each year! I have always loved these plums for fresh eating, and even though my family and friends have gotten as many as they want, I still have had plenty left over to give to the food bank. I also froze about a hundred pounds of these plums for later use, blanching them, but leaving the skin on. Unfortunately the skins have turned out to be quite bitter, and I find myself fishing them out of every fruit dish I make.

Now I am looking for another plum tree which has similar growth and production habits, but without that bitter skin. I am fortunate to have several of the old fashioned Stanleys which grew true from seed, but they are just not as productive as my Shiro. I know there is a Yellow Egg plum, but I wonder how prolific it really is, and if those skins are bitter too?

I have also been wondering if there is any additive I could work into the soil around my Shiro tree which might cause the skins to be sweeter. I've never heard of such a thing for fruit trees, but lime and other soil enhancers sure do make a difference in the taste of some of our vegetables. :)

Ad

Advertisements

jhm

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted a Shiro last year and had my first fruit this year - I found the skin to be very bitter as well. I've also planted a Golden Transparent Gage which I hope will be less bitter. I may take out the Shiro and replace it with something else. I am trying to find out if Golden Early has a similarly bitter skin, as it is a Shiro descendent.

Sorry this isn't so much of an answer as an "I have the same problem" statement.

Ask a Question