Shiro plum vs. other plums

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Shiro Plums 2.jpg

In just two more short months it will be tree-planting time here in the Pacific Northwest, so I've been thinking about my orchard. I have a Shiro plum tree which is about 7 years old. For the last two years it has borne huge crops, about 500 pounds of fruit each year! I have always loved these plums for fresh eating, and even though my family and friends have gotten as many as they want, I still have had plenty left over to give to the food bank. I also froze about a hundred pounds of these plums for later use, blanching them, but leaving the skin on. Unfortunately the skins have turned out to be quite bitter, and I find myself fishing them out of every fruit dish I make.

Now I am looking for another plum tree which has similar growth and production habits, but without that bitter skin. I am fortunate to have several of the old fashioned Stanleys which grew true from seed, but they are just not as productive as my Shiro. I know there is a Yellow Egg plum, but I wonder how prolific it really is, and if those skins are bitter too?

I have also been wondering if there is any additive I could work into the soil around my Shiro tree which might cause the skins to be sweeter. I've never heard of such a thing for fruit trees, but lime and other soil enhancers sure do make a difference in the taste of some of our vegetables. :)

jhm

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted a Shiro last year and had my first fruit this year - I found the skin to be very bitter as well. I've also planted a Golden Transparent Gage which I hope will be less bitter. I may take out the Shiro and replace it with something else. I am trying to find out if Golden Early has a similarly bitter skin, as it is a Shiro descendent.

Sorry this isn't so much of an answer as an "I have the same problem" statement.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
View attachment 10815

In just two more short months it will be tree-planting time here in the Pacific Northwest, so I've been thinking about my orchard. I have a Shiro plum tree which is about 7 years old. For the last two years it has borne huge crops, about 500 pounds of fruit each year! I have always loved these plums for fresh eating, and even though my family and friends have gotten as many as they want, I still have had plenty left over to give to the food bank. I also froze about a hundred pounds of these plums for later use, blanching them, but leaving the skin on. Unfortunately the skins have turned out to be quite bitter, and I find myself fishing them out of every fruit dish I make.

Now I am looking for another plum tree which has similar growth and production habits, but without that bitter skin. I am fortunate to have several of the old fashioned Stanleys which grew true from seed, but they are just not as productive as my Shiro. I know there is a Yellow Egg plum, but I wonder how prolific it really is, and if those skins are bitter too?

I have also been wondering if there is any additive I could work into the soil around my Shiro tree which might cause the skins to be sweeter. I've never heard of such a thing for fruit trees, but lime and other soil enhancers sure do make a difference in the taste of some of our vegetables. :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I planted my shiro plum 4 years ago and got tons of fruit in2021…2022 nothing but it was a horrible year here growing wise. What really surprised me was you commenting on bitter skin…that’s why I adore my shiro because mine isn’t bitter or hasn’t been at all…it’s the sweetest juiciest plum I’ve ever had in my life! Then I started wondering were you just talking about the frozen ones? Not the fresh? Are you trying to plant another Japanese plum or going for a European plum? Yellow egg is European and I’ve just bought a bare root one to add to my garden just waiting for snow to stop to pick up lol. For Japanese I’ve been debating between beauty Methley or satsuma. Satsuma was my top pick until I kept reading it tastes like almonds which threw me off I can’t imagine a juicy almond…so now I’m back to beauty or Methley

Ask a Question