Concerned About My Plumeria : Help

Reaction score
Country
India
I planted my Plumeria in a park near my home over a year ago. I wasn't aware back then that Plumerias need a lot of sunlight to grow and blossom; my Plumeria is not getting enough sunlight as there are taller trees in the park and that causes more shade. How should I ensure that my plumeria blooms and grows in a healthy manner in such a condition? I can't replant it now as my plant may die from shock. Please help. I share an emotional bond with my plant and I can't see it suffering.
IMG_20180723_182749.jpg
IMG_20180723_182740_Bokeh.jpg

Reaction score
Country
India
I have repotted the plant at a different spot where it will now receive more sunlight! Any tips on how to ensure good health and not let it suffer from any shock?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have repotted the plant at a different spot where it will now receive more sunlight! Any tips on how to ensure good health and not let it suffer from any shock?
By repotted did you mean replanted in the ground? The little fine roots that get removed when disturbed will take a bit of time to regrow but there is time enough in the season for that - so just support that root regrowth and do not water frequently but when you do, water deeply so as the surface water disappears the plant roots have to go deeper to get moisture. You could even consider a temporary watering pipe driven into the soil to a good depth below to ensure deep moisture, but I do not know enough about your soil type or climate to know if that is really necessary. The plant looked good and I would think you were careful with the roots and spread them out when replanting. Watering shallow makes for a shallow root and that would be a longer term risk as you slow down the first year watering program.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
India
Yes, I replanted it in the ground. I was careful while shifting the plant, trying to keep as many roots intact as possible. And even if some root loss might have still happened, I'll follow your advice of watering deeply occasionally. I added some organic fertilizer while replanting, but didn't water the plant as Plumerias don't need much water and the soil was quite moist already. Is there anything else that I can do to support root growth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, I replanted it in the ground. I was careful while shifting the plant, trying to keep as many roots intact as possible. And even if some root loss might have still happened, I'll follow your advice of watering deeply occasionally. I added some organic fertilizer while replanting, but didn't water the plant as Plumerias don't need much water and the soil was quite moist already. Is there anything else that I can do to support root growth?
Leave it alone. Well, proper compost on top but I am sure you do something like that already. A little molasses when watering to help the compost components work the biology effects maybe.

Reaction score
Country
India
Leave it alone. Well, proper compost on top but I am sure you do something like that already. A little molasses when watering to help the compost components work the biology effects maybe.
Okay, thanks a lot for such great insights :)

Reaction score
Country
India
My Plumeria seems to be doing okay. I am even getting rid of the white aphids which have heavily affected the plant, by spraying a recommended pesticide on it. I have sprayed twice so far in the last two weeks. I am concerned because my friend's houseplants had died because of medicine overdose. I guess I won't be using it now as the aphids have reduced and the sunlight has been quite helpful too. But any suggestions on how to care for the plant in case of overuse of plant medicine?

And lastly, the garden soil overall is quite moist. So we don't water the Plumeria frequently. But I'm worried because the soil around it always seems to be overmoist. I have read that this may cause the root to rot. Any suggestions on this?

Here are a few pictures of my Plumeria from today.
Hoping to receive some useful insights. Thanks :)

IMG_20180917_102838.jpg
IMG_20180917_102850.jpg
IMG_20180917_102905.jpg
IMG_20180917_102921.jpg

Ask a Question