Shade loving perennials?

Reaction score
I have chameleon plants growing under trees, they do great. They grow better for me in the shade then sun. Every winter they die back completely and come back in the spring. But I tend to plant things people tell me won't do well or will take over and see how they do. I've had plants labeled full sun in part shade do well, and other plants I was told are invasive that didn't take over for me. I like to experiment and see what works best for me.

I hear you - especially as I too love experimenting and always give a bit of leeway when in comes to planting instructions - especially as with all the different climatic conditions around the World - it would be absolutely impossible to have set guidelines as to what will best suit plants in all these variable conditions.

However although Houttuynia Cordata thrives in the shade where you live - as your climate is considerably warmer and has considerably more sun than in certain parts of Europe - as this is where deriale lives and was asking specifically for suggestions of colorful plants best suited to growing around the base of a tree where the ground receives very little moisture.

As Houttuynia Cordata when grown in certain parts of Europe requires plenty of moisture and only gets its best variegated color when grown in full sun - as the sun hours and strength is much less than in other climates - like yours for instance - I felt it would be only fair to mention that Houttuynia Cordata could be a disappointing choice - as apart from requiring a great deal of additional watering - it would also probably look rather drab and not very colorful - as it wouldn't get enough sunlight due to the shade from the tree - which would have stopped it from developing its beautiful coloring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, I love this "Panda Faced Ginger"! I love black and white things, it's my favorite color combination:) It's so classy! These flowers are really adorable. They would look great in my garden:)
I also like Cyclamen Hederifolium. I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere before, I'm not sure where though.

Reaction score
I have enjoyed the photos of plants that are posted here so much! Some I have never heard of, and some are so unusual looking. The only things I have really had any luck growing in the shade here in North Alabama are Hostas and Coral Bells. The Hostas come in so many differnt size leaves and color variations that you can have some color under your trees and shrubs. They will also put up a spike of white or pinkish flowers. Coral Bells are so delicat looking. Their pinkish flowers come on graceful, arching stems and are delicate looking.

Reaction score
I do not have alot of shade in my backyard, but I have heard Bleeding Hearts, Toad lilies, Hostas, Lungwort and Japanese Forest Plants thrive in shade. I know Hostas do, I've had them. Hostas are hearty, green and beautiful.

Reaction score
Coleus is great (not sure if I'm spelling I correctly). Its just leafy and comes in greens, reds and purples. I think somebody else posted some pictures already. Hostas seem to thrive anywhere you put them. Also new guinea impatients and begonias can do well in shade as long as you water them. Good Luck!

Reaction score
If your winters are not too cold, you can try upright fuschias. They can be pretty hardy once you get them through a winter or two. The trick is to cut them back and bury them under a large pile of leaves to insulate them over the winter, then they will come back. My parents have had a huge fuschia bed for years now. The roots are so established and deep that each year the plants grow back the size of small bushes and have lots of flower.

Reaction score
I second the people who mentioned bleeding hearts and lily of the valley. Lily of the valley are beautiful and smell wonderful when you pick some and bring them inside for a small bouquet. Wild columbine would also be very pretty and they come in many colors now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This plant is phenomenal! Brilliant colors that it exposes and shapes/forms it comes in.
I would LOVE to grow this myself

Ask a Question