Setting up a vertical salad wall. Any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To make the most of the space in my yard, I'd like to start a vertical salad wall. Does anyone have any tips on the kind of "wall" I should get? I've seen hanging fabric ones with pouches, but I was thinking of getting a stand alone thing—possibly more durable. If anyone has a salad wall, I'd appreciate pics! Also if you have any advice on starting one, that would be fantastic!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
To make the most of the space in my yard, I'd like to start a vertical salad wall. Does anyone have any tips on the kind of "wall" I should get? I've seen hanging fabric ones with pouches, but I was thinking of getting a stand alone thing—possibly more durable. If anyone has a salad wall, I'd appreciate pics! Also if you have any advice on starting one, that would be fantastic!

Busybee I was wondering how you made out with your salad wall. I have some growing in rain gutters with decent results so far. I got the idea for the plant charmer on YouTube. I will post a link. If you made something yourself I would love to see what you came up with. Please post some pics.

Here's a pic of what I'm growing.

20210710_152313.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I'll second the gutter idea. All the mounting hardware and parts are available. This is a known system and well used in green houses and by professional growers.

The biggest problem with the hanging bag type thing is all sides of the soil will dry out. If you take a weekend away you're libel to return to dehydrated lettuce still in the dirt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Dirt mechanic I started trimming them last night. We had a nice crispy salad. Thanks for the tip though. Do they flower sooner if you don't trim them?
They get a little too mature for a tender salad. Unless you have horse teeth or something. Mine are outside so conditions dictate to some degree of course. They grow back pretty quick though and can get ahead of you.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'll second the gutter idea. All the mounting hardware and parts are available. This is a known system and well used in green houses and by professional growers.

The biggest problem with the hanging bag type thing is all sides of the soil will dry out. If you take a weekend away you're libel to return to dehydrated lettuce still in the dirt.

Dehydrated lettuce can definitely be problem with a rain gutter system. I've been very diligent with the watering. I currently have everything set up on a drip line system and a timer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Dehydrated lettuce can definitely be problem with a rain gutter system. I've been very diligent with the watering. I currently have everything set up on a drip line system and a timer.
I have been trying stir fry and other recipes. Outside the box but suprising how other cultures have treated the veg over the years.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Canuck, I thought about building something, but in the end I bought 2 vertical planters and they've worked out perfectly. The planters are made of fabric so excess water can drain through and we added wooden supports at the bottom so it wouldn't topple. I have around 16 lettuce plants, a tomato plant (with seven little tomatoes growing and many more flowers), some coriander and basil. I bought plugs as I wasn't confident with growing them from seeds, since I've never grown anything before. Here is a picture from the day I planted them at the end of May and a picture I took today. The lower planters are empty because a neighbourhood cat was digging up the small lettuces, but I'll plant some other larger veg/herbs there soon.

I don't know much about how long you should let lettuces grow, but I'm planning on harvesting them today!

Here's pictures of when I planted them on May 27th and today:
IMG_20210527_195305.jpg
Planters 2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a bit of an aphid problem but I got some castile soap to sort it. My basil plant doesn't seem to be doing very well though. Any tips on what I should do?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@Canuck, I thought about building something, but in the end I bought 2 vertical planters and they've worked out perfectly. The planters are made of fabric so excess water can drain through and we added wooden supports at the bottom so it wouldn't topple. I have around 16 lettuce plants, a tomato plant (with seven little tomatoes growing and many more flowers), some coriander and basil. I bought plugs as I wasn't confident with growing them from seeds, since I've never grown anything before. Here is a picture from the day I planted them at the end of May and a picture I took today. The lower planters are empty because a neighbourhood cat was digging up the small lettuces, but I'll plant some other larger veg/herbs there soon.
I don't know much about how long you should let lettuces grow, but I'm planning on harvesting them today!

Here's pictures of when I planted them on May 27th and today:View attachment 83235View attachment 83236

Busybee your vertical garden looks amazing. I really like the look of the structure and the planters. Did you buy that locally or on line?

I attempted to try and grow a garden 20 years ago with poor results. I didn't have the proper time or patience to look after it so I consider this my first years as well. You are doing fantastic. As far as the basil goes I'm no expert but when my plants start having yellow leaves I give them some liquid fish fertilizer mixed with Epsom salts and they perk right up. I spray it on the leaves and the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Busybee your vertical garden looks amazing. I really like the look of the structure and the planters. Did you buy that locally or on line?

I attempted to try and grow a garden 20 years ago with poor results. I didn't have the proper time or patience to look after it so I consider this my first years as well. You are doing fantastic. As far as the basil goes I'm no expert but when my plants start having yellow leaves I give them some liquid fish fertilizer mixed with Epsom salts and they perk right up. I spray it on the leaves and the soil.

Hopefully, you'll have better luck with gardening this time around! Keep me posted!

I bought the planters online—a little expensive, but I'm happy with how everything is growing. I used some fertilizer on a few of the plants, including the basil, so I'll see how it goes.

Ask a Question