Setting Up Garden Bed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

Novice gardener here - I moved into a new house in the Phoenix area. South facing backyard and it has a few of these planters. They were holding lantanas which I dug out. The black water line is non functional, so I plan to remove that.

I am hoping to transform this into the first gardening bed to grow herbs. The next garden beds will hopefully be for leafy vegetables.

I guess I'm just looking for any tips or advice, with the following in mind:

- Will the mason structure affect growing? There is not a cement bottom, so plenty of drainage below.
- Should PVC be on inside of garden bed or should I try to relocate to exterior and then add drip line?
- Soil, sun, and water considerations?
- Anything else?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210110_191400926.jpg
    PXL_20210110_191400926.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 81
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

If the planters do receive sun for at least half the day, they should be fine for growing herbs and vegetables. You may just fill these planters with potting soil, but consider digging p the base of the planters for greater depth and incorporating a moderate amount of the dug native soil in with the potting soil. Drip irrigation is always a possibility, but consider just watering from a can or hose as the beds do not look large. Do you intend to plant perennial or annual herbs?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

Novice gardener here - I moved into a new house in the Phoenix area. South facing backyard and it has a few of these planters. They were holding lantanas which I dug out. The black water line is non functional, so I plan to remove that.

I am hoping to transform this into the first gardening bed to grow herbs. The next garden beds will hopefully be for leafy vegetables.

I guess I'm just looking for any tips or advice, with the following in mind:

- Will the mason structure affect growing? There is not a cement bottom, so plenty of drainage below.
- Should PVC be on inside of garden bed or should I try to relocate to exterior and then add drip line?
- Soil, sun, and water considerations?
- Anything else?

Thanks!
Look into planting food and flowers for pollinators.

Ask a Question