Seeds, seedlings or cuttings

Reaction score
It seems like it is a lot easier to just buy a seedling (a small plant grown from a seed) or buying a cutting (a portion of plant cut from a mature plant) rather than starting plants from seed.

BUT are there certain plants or certain conditions, (other than the thrill of growing something from 'scratch' oneself or the expense if you are planting row after row of plants) where it is better for the PLANT that it be started from a seed?

Reaction score
I think there are many gardening purists that will tell you that it is best to grow every plant from seed. Personally, I like to grow from organic seedlings, because some seeds need special conditions to germinate and take a while. I don't have the room or patience for it. So, I am also interested to hear from others whether there are any specific plants that are better grown from the seeds.

Reaction score
I like the 'experimentation' quality of growing from seeds. I remember growing a moon flower from seed. Once I finally got one growing, it was fun to see the the little root sprouting out! Being able to see life start in something as simple as a seed is just amazing. I almost didn't want to put it into the dirt because I wanted to watch it develop.

Reaction score
As to whether or not certain plants do better when grown from seed - is a difficult one to answer - as I don't buy young plants or seedlings - mainly because I mostly grow rare, unusual or difficult to find plant varieties - which as they are generally fairly hard to find - the majority of my plants apart from my fruit trees - were and still are grown from either seed or cuttings - which I have to say is to me one of the most rewarding aspects of gardening - as even after many, many years of doing it - I never fail to feel excited at the sight of those first few leaves that emerge after what can sometimes be many months of waiting :)

Ask a Question