Seeds before rain?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just received white Dutch cover seeds which I plan to spread over my lawn. In three days, we'll have thunderstorms for at least 5 days. I'd considered spreading them before it rains, but I'm concerned that so much rain is more likely to wash them away, than help them germinate. Should I wait until after the rain?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Welcome!

If it were me, I would get them out as soon as possible. Several reasons: 1) where you are it is very close to end of spring beginning of summer and clover prefers relatively cool temps. Summer heat is coming fast. 2) There is something magic about rain re germinating seeds.

My forecast just south of you shows thundershowers next week but doesn't look to be especially heavy right now. Yes, I would plant them right away.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't put them all out at one time split the planting in half and re-seed just in case after your seed sprouts. . A good way to spread tiny seed is to add corn mill to the seeds giving you something to hold on to and keep the spread even.

Ask a Question