Will onions grow seeds if not pollinated?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My green onion bloomed and produced a lot of black seeds but from only one flower. Even though onions have perfect flowers I understand that you still need two. Does the fack that it has seeds mean it was pollinated or will the plant still grow seed that that are inert?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, it was pollinated, strange you only got one flower making seed. There are flowers which can self pollinate, but the onion is not one of them, the pollen is produced before the female part of the flower is ready, so it is only good for other onions that flowered earlier; was this a single early flower by any chance?

will the plant still grow seed that that are inert?
I keep going back to this in my head, I can't think of a plant that does this, but I feel there must be one, nature is like that, it fills all the possibilities, there are plants that grow fruit without seeds, but sterile seeds?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, I'll plant them.Yeah, It's hard to imagine anything in nature would spend the energy to make a seed that wasn't active. Even seedless fruit must pollinate. There must be wild onions nearby

Ask a Question