Seedling Help - Zinnia's Leaf Browning

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello gardeners,
Hoping someone can help me identify what is happening with my zinnia seedlings. I am starting them indoor under a growlight in a coconut coir mix. The first true leaves have began to turn brown, starting from the outside going inward. I have many other seedlings (tomato, pepper, lettuce, basil) without similar problems. I have not yet fertilized the zinnia as they seem too young to need fertilizer (or so I think).
Any suggestions are appreciated!

IMG_5536.jpg
IMG_5535.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you Coco Coir has no nutrients then it may be time to supplement with nutrients. The plants in the photos are stressed from too much water in the soil. You really need to allow the soil to dry well before watering again. If you are going to feed your coco, its a good ideal to use 1/10 the recommendation of the manufacturer. After mixing a dose at 1/10 the measurement only feed one cell to see if the plant likes if before feeding all your plants.. Feeding tiny seedlings can be very difficult on them and can kill them so just take a chance with one plant at first. If one does well with food, then feed all the cells. I think your problem may be from keeping the soil too wet. CoCo Coir is made to be fed at the very first with a mild solution of nutrients with every watering. Try using a turkey baster for precise watering. You are doing a good job, hand in thiere.

Attachments

• IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you Coco Coir has no nutrients then it may be time to supplement with nutrients. The plants in the photos are stressed from too much water in the soil. You really need to allow the soil to dry well before watering again. If you are going to feed your coco, its a good ideal to use 1/10 the recommendation of the manufacturer. After mixing a dose at 1/10 the measurement only feed one cell to see if the plant likes if before feeding all your plants.. Feeding tiny seedlings can be very difficult on them and can kill them so just take a chance with one plant at first. If one does well with food, then feed all the cells. I think your problem may be from keeping the soil too wet. CoCo Coir is made to be fed at the very first with a mild solution of nutrients with every watering. Try using a turkey baster for precise watering. You are doing a good job, hand in thiere.
Can the seedlings recover by less watering? I just planted in an organic seed starting mix. My Zinnia's are doing the same thing. Would it help of I transplant them?

Ask a Question