Help seedlings wilted

Reaction score
Country
United States
So i am new to planting vegables and have started with french dressing radishes and pak choi. Everything was going fine the seeds germinated fine and grew about 2 inches tall then just wilted. The culprit i believe is the litom led grow light that i put on them. They seemed to be sickly before bit once the light was on them it was all over. I started them in jiffy seed starting mix and watered them 3 times a day with a spray bottle.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Germination can be a little tricky. You basically have soil, light, temperature and moisture as cultural conditions to deal with, you only mention misting and a reference to led lights I don't quite understand. Keep in mind not all seeds require the same cultural conditions to germinate. Some need light, somewhat dark, some like mild, some like cooler.

Your wilting almost sounds like leggy i.e. not enough light or not enough light and then you hit them with light that was too strong or hot. Generally you want plenty of hours of balanced light i.e. not hot and not so bright you need sunglasses and not dim. A fairly even temperature for a large portion of the day. Lots of flowers seeds (what I mostly grow) like about 654-75 degrees or so. Watering, I don't know how much moisture you loosing, but try to keep the soil moist, but not wet, sounds like you’re doing that. Careful not to beat up the seedlings when applying the moisture. Did you up the moisture once they germinated, maybe too much water? For soil, I tried what you’re using but I found it to be hydrophobic at times and expensive. A high quality potting mix with the chunks and lumps taken out works very well.

Also what did you start them in? How long had they been growing? How long did it take them to germinate, how long after germination till they went south? A picture or further describe would help.

Here is one of my germination efforts, I have come up with a better lableing system :eek:. Even with my semi-automated set up (water, supplemental light, trays, fan or heat when needed) I don't always get the germination I hoped for. A little too much water, a hot spot, a dry spot can have a big impact.

Keep after it, do some more, try different things.
From here

ry%3D480

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply! Well basically everything was going fine all the seed started to sprout after starting them in the jiffy seed starting mix, I made sure the mix was moist until one morning the first sprouted wilted turned red and died. I thought maybe i was because I needed to put them under some lights so I used a litom 38w led with 9 red leds and 3 blue leds set it up a couple inches away from the seedlings and then the light killed everything lol. The thing is one of them was wilting before the light, the light just seemed to finish the job. luckily this morning I was able to revive three of them but the original wilter is still down for the count. I attached the picture of the situation the wilter next to the two stronger ones that i revived. They took about two days to germinate, two more days after they started wilting

BYbDsIuAzYl

Attachments

• 20170830_084358.jpg
    20170830_084358.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 246
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Did they all go the way of the wilted one? Do those little pots drain, I see they are on a pan, the wilted one looks quite wet and the soil looks like it has contracted to somewhat dense. Plants don't drown as some perceive, they suffocate from lack of oxygen. Without understanding all the cultural conditions, looks too wet.

Keep in mind that things cause plants to stress (too much – not enough… sun, water...) and that stress then opens them up to diseases, greater pest impact and alike.

http://www.doctordirt.org/teachingresources/idealsoil
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/mauisoil/a_comp.aspx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thankfully no not all of them wilted away! I manage to bring all of them back accept the pak choi seedling and the radish one in the picture . The pots do drain as i drilled mulitple holes in them. The soil could be a problem i didnt pack it down but could have contracted.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For seedling, I always use tap water for fear of fungal spores in rain water. As far as I know (I'm not a proper gardener), you don't really need a lot of water for seeds to germinate. I keep my seed tray inside a clear plastic bag in a place away from direct sunlight at about 15 to 18c and as long as there is moisture in the compost (which should be more free-draining than yours), seeds will germinate happily.

Have you sterilised your compost? I use my microwave to sterilise my compost so that my seedlings can have a healthy start. By using a clear plastic bag, I also stop nasties growing on them. When there are enough seedlings coming up, I remove the plastic bag and put the whole tray somewhere brighter. A lot of people use @Greenhorn 's method and are very happy with it. But I don't have such a big greenhouse, so I have to improvise ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So i am new to planting vegables and have started with french dressing radishes and pak choi. Everything was going fine the seeds germinated fine and grew about 2 inches tall then just wilted. The culprit i believe is the litom led grow light that i put on them. They seemed to be sickly before bit once the light was on them it was all over. I started them in jiffy seed starting mix and watered them 3 times a day with a spray bottle.

Apparently, cinnamon is good for solving these problems.

Ask a Question