First time gardener with growing seedling issues. Help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
20160503_175322.jpg
20160503_175334.jpg
20160503_175355.jpg
20160503_175413.jpg
20160503_175422.jpg
Hello! First, thank you for any and all advice. Really appreciate it. We have quite have quite a few seedlings currently growing under a grow light. First pic is tomato plants. I think those are doing well. I see a few leaves turning yellow, but not many and the stems have strengthened since we started using a fan in the room. Second pic, carrots. These seem to be doing well, too. I am very new to this, so please let me know if you see anything I don't in the pics! Third picture is cucumbers. I am sad to say about 3 to 4 of those seedlings look like they have signs of damping(?) if that is the correct term. They were fine yesterday and today they have yellowed and fallen over. Do they need heat underneath? Fourth, kale. Some of the kale seedlings seem to be doing well, others have turned yellow, tan, purple and shriveled up. I assume that is not a good sign. Fifth and final, peppers. Growth seems slower. Some seedling leaves are darkening. Do they need more light, water, maybe heat mat?

Also, when do we thin? If necessary?
We are in southeastern Michigan and plan to transport to large pots. Temps are mostly high in 60's now and lows in upper 40's and low 50's. We were planning on waiting. Haven't taken them outdoors to harden off yet. Grow light is on about 16hrs, but realizing that is a bit too long and this week we are doing 12hrs. Fan blows on them a couple hours.

Appreciate any advice for this novice gardener :) Thank you!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, your plants look basically healthy, so that's good.
Prick out and pot on NOW!
Separate them all: soak them first & give each the luxury of its own 3" pot.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome @Ebejer5 from another Michigander. :) I don't usually plant from seed; this year l planted a few seeds for the first time in years and am going to be separating them into peat pots that can go directly into the ground when it gets warm enough.

Your babies look good but a little crowded so l agree with your other respondent. We are forecast to have a drier, warmer summer than the last few so it should be a good garden year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. Well, we thinned (before getting your responses) by snipping seedlings at the stem near the dirt line. I was sad to see so many lost, but we kept the strongest looking seedling. We only have one grow light so repotting the others wouldn't have allowed for great growing conditions. We lost another cucumber seedling to damping off this morning. Frustrating, but I read more about it and learned a few things. We are keeping a fan on them for a good part of the day. I am also only watering from below now (self watering tray). I just learned to pour off the remaining water after 15min. I sprinkled a bit if cinnamon on the cucumber seedlings that haven't fell victim to damping off yet. I also plan to treat with hydrogen peroxide during next watering. Wondering if I should water all with the hydrogen peroxide solution (2 Tbs to a quart of water) or only the cucumber seedlings. Leaning towards all of them....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Random comments:

- I would thin everything to one seedling per cell, now. (Ah--I read that you did already. Good.)
- Unfortunately, carrots don't like to be transplanted. I don't think they're going to succeed.
- Cucumbers are much more OK with being transplanted, but they're also very easy to direct seed. I would just wait until the weather is warm enough and direct seed them.

Ask a Question